New collaboration of breed associations

Help Support CattleToday:

Chocolate Cow2":2abrzhan said:
I read about it in Progressive Cattleman magazine. I think it's a joke. A money generating gimmick. Angus Assoc was talking about registering crossbreds. These associations continually invent new ways to generate income. They're like a high-maintenance girlfriend/wife and we're the poor schmucks who are supposed to support them.

No different then any other governing body, keep adding taxes to pay for more leeches.

Have to admit that the cynical part of me thinks it is more of an adaption to generate income. In playing the role of advocate though, it does seem unique that two different, competing breed associations would come together. I know that Hereford has CHB, and am not familiar with Red Angus other than they have a tagging program to market calves. It may lead to a broader acceptance of red hided calves if the initial program evolves into the marketing of calves from those females, I don't know how or if the respective associations would work out the details if it were a joint venture beyond that.

That's my point, there's already a ton of breeds paired up - these two finally decided 'hey we should cash in on this too, now who's left to pair with?'

I was skeptical when I first saw the press release on this because my initial reaction was around here a black baldie will bring more at the sale barn than a red hide cross will so what is the benefit of this. Hopefully this partnership results in red hided cattle not taking a discount at the sale barn some day. This is not a situation where a registered herd book is being opened up to include another breed. This is a partnership where if you cross a Hereford with a Red Angus the progeny will qualify to feed out slaughter cattle as red baldies much like Certified Hereford Beef already accepts black baldie crosses with black Angus. If they can find packers willing to pay better prices for those crosses then it is a win for both breeds.

cattleman99":1cvbx8ru said:
Bullitt":1cvbx8ru said:
Ky hills":1cvbx8ru said:
Not sure what to make of it, but just read on another forum something about a collaboration between the American Hereford Association and the Red Angus Association on a red baldy female program.
My understanding is that it is a tag program that is supposed to capitalize on the crossbred vigor to market commercial females.

From the American Hereford Association: https://hereford.org/premium-red-baldy/

They state, "Females must be red-bodied with either a bald or brockle face. No black-hided cattle will be admitted, regardless of genetic makeup."

Regardless of genetic makeup? Yeah, because I would guess some red-hided Angus could produce black-hided calves. It is a crazy world. I wonder if the ones with red hair or the ones with black hair taste better? :)

So the good ones will just be Red Simmentals! :banana:
You can't have good and siMENTAL in the same sentence, unless you also include the word dead. :cowboy:

skeeter swatter":1oj2vo4n said:
cattleman99":1oj2vo4n said:
Bullitt":1oj2vo4n said:
From the American Hereford Association: https://hereford.org/premium-red-baldy/

They state, "Females must be red-bodied with either a bald or brockle face. No black-hided cattle will be admitted, regardless of genetic makeup."

Regardless of genetic makeup? Yeah, because I would guess some red-hided Angus could produce black-hided calves. It is a crazy world. I wonder if the ones with red hair or the ones with black hair taste better? :)

So the good ones will just be Red Simmentals! :banana:
You can't have good and siMENTAL in the same sentence, unless you also include the word dead. :cowboy:

Watched 130 sell at the Herdmaster sale yesterday on DLMS.ca. Floor was $4250 and they went up to $77500. Lots of $10 k plus bulls going into commercial herds. The successful cowboys use Simmental cattle in Canada cause they make them money and they can cross with anything and improve them. Can watch sales like this most days and often multiple.

Hereford breeders dropped the ball when they didn't start a branded program when the Angus breeders did. Now they will always be playing catch up. Making an alliance with the Red Angus Association sounds like a reasonable alliance for both breeds, they're both red in a black world.

Latest posts