New Chain Saw

Help Support CattleToday:

kerley

Reaction score
Kathy bought me a new Husqvarna 455/20" bar chain saw. I hav'nt fired it up yet. Anyone have one and how do you like it.
~Tom

Our Husky has been nothing but problems :frowns: . The handle/throttle assembly is always breaking. We normally run Stihl,I like those alot. Just sayin. Maybe your Husky will be better. Keep us posted. :tiphat:

BC

A 20 inch bar is fairly hefty for a 55cc motor. If you find it lugs when cutting, switch to a shorter bar.

If you ever have starting/running issues, take it back to your service dealer and ask him to tune the carb and remove the 'emission lockouts' on the saw. You will lose on the fuel consumption but gain on the power and performance. All imported chainsaws into North America are built to California specs. So if your new saw doesn't run like your old one, it's because of the emission lockouts. They starve fuel to save the planet. :roll:

I've had a 261 for about 10 years. Not impressed.

Actually got so mad one time I threw it at my truck. Real smart.

TexasBred":g75sn401 said:
I have an Echo but have always heard the Husky's were very good.
I have an Echo that I bought thirty years ago. It always cut well but I always had a hard time starting it cold or hot. When I moved to Alabama I had a lot of brush and some trees to remove and again it would not start. I put it in the repair shop and after a tune up and new chain, it still would not start. It now is retired on a shelf in the garage. Some folks love them, perhaps I bought a lemon or I am doing something wrong.
~Tom

Unless they've changed recently, Husky's have the chain clutch outside the chain and if trying to fell close to the ground they get dirt in the clutch. Stihls have the clutch inside and work much better cutting horizontally close to the ground. For cutting firewood verticalLy they will probabLy all work fine. Buy chaps if you don't have them. Saved my leg. Jmho. Jim

SRBeef":35dsrvqc said:
Unless they've changed recently, Husky's have the chain clutch outside the chain and if trying to fell close to the ground they get dirt in the clutch. Stihls have the clutch inside and work much better cutting horizontally close to the ground. For cutting firewood verticalLy they will probabLy all work fine. Buy chaps if you don't have them. Saved my leg. Jmho. Jim
Also a hard hat and hearing protection

I was going to buy a 455, but went with a Stihl MS361 instead, don't regret a minute of it either. A friend has a smaller Husky( maybe a 345?) and it has worked well for him, but he doesn't use it that often. I've burned up at least 20 gallons in my Stihl so far.

RD-Sam":14c5xn77 said:
I was going to buy a 455, but went with a Stihl MS361 instead, don't regret a minute of it either. A friend has a smaller Husky( maybe a 345?) and it has worked well for him, but he doesn't use it that often. I've burned up at least 20 gallons in my Stihl so far.

The way it was explained to me, the 361 is a "professional" saw whereas the 455 is pretty much a lighter duty type saw. Stihl used to rate their saws in even numbers for heavy duty saws and odds for lighter stuff. ie, 036 vs 029. The 361 is the newer version of the old 036.

I'd like to have a 361 and a smaller saw like a 210 or close for small stuff.

mine didn't work well after i mistakenly left it in the path of a fire i had set. went to a jonsered (a subsidiary of husqvarna) and have been very pleased with it during the 16 years i have had it. used both saws cutting many loads of pulpwood on my place and often need one during hurricane/tornado season. on both i had the dealer cut the housing and install a bow blade, which i much prefer because i use the hook on the bottom to leverage the saw. although it has an automatic bar oiler, i use the manual one about every 30 seconds. maintenance includes pouring out any unused fuel, keeping a couple extra chains sharpened and frequently checking the spark plug.

cfpinz":3bwuee98 said:
RD-Sam":3bwuee98 said:

The way it was explained to me, the 361 is a "professional" saw whereas the 455 is pretty much a lighter duty type saw. Stihl used to rate their saws in even numbers for heavy duty saws and odds for lighter stuff. ie, 036 vs 029. The 361 is the newer version of the old 036.

I'd like to have a 361 and a smaller saw like a 210 or close for small stuff.

I think that 455 is referred to as a Rancher. The 361 is more of a professional saw, it won't wear you out like some of the others, it's mounted in rubber and it's light weight. It has plenty of power to run a 20" bar, and I have even seen some people use larger bars with them. I also have a 16" bar for mine, for doing smaller stuff. It's a really good all around saw, and it will sure cut some wood. I let a guy borrow it one day that use to log for a living, he said if he had one of those he would go back to loggin. :lol:

I like mine. I have two.

I second the chaps. They were under $120. My co-pay at the ER a month ago was $200. The final bill was about $1,200.

If you love her, get yourself some chaps.

After Kathy left for the store to get the new chainsaw, I got to messing with the old saw and it started and worked just like it should. I still hav'nt started the new saw.
Tom

I looked at a husky but did not buy it .
I´d had a Jonsered with about a 24¨ bar since 1981. It is still running and very reliable but I had to change the fuel line once.
Thats all I´ve had to do to it bar fill it . I chose it because everything was bolted together with Allen screws and looked well made at the time . Sure proved itself worthy.

Husky tried to sell me one of theirs recently on the basis that Huskys are made by Jonsered. Found out later that´s bunkum . It was not made nearly as well

I just bought a Husky ride-on- Bought for the price so I guess I´ll get to have a good look at what they make things like.

I finally pronounced my old chain saw dead. I fired up the new Husky and it is sure impressive. So far I like it.
`Tom

The cows went through the fence to eat the neighbors Johnson grass, so I had to make some emergency repairs to keep peace in the neighborhood. There was a lot of brush and trees growing in the fence [typical in Alabama] so I started trimming brush. I trimmed Saturday, Sunday and Monday with my old Poulan chain saw. It was pronounced dead on Tuesday. Wednesday I fired up the new Husqvarna and boy, will it cut. I planned on completing the brush cutting today, but the Husky threw the chain and tore up the case that covers the clutch and chain sprocket. I fooled with it all afternoon, then called Husky. They were nice but really not that helpful. I called a repair shop and they said I could bring it in but it would not be ready for three to four weeks. Kathy bought the saw for me for Father's Day and I really was inpressed with it. However, I need a saw now. I called Lowes where Kathy bought it and they were really nice to me. They told me that Kathy had bought the saw and a three year extended warranty. I can bring it back and pick up another saw with no charge or have my cash refunded, no questions asked and no problem. I really like this saw and it was a gift from someone that truly loves me so it's special to me. I think I will exchange it for another just like it. What would you do?

Latest posts