New Cattle Rancher

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I run approx 40 head of cattle in the South Texas area near Karnes City Texas. I have about half Black Angus and the other half is "Tiger Striped". I have one heifer that is pregnant and it looks as if her "belly button" area is swollen. Is this excess fat that is being stored for the winter or are her teets not holding/storing any milk? I know that this may sound like a weird question, but I am just concerned for my cow. My cows are very friendly and part of the family.
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

It's likely a milk well, she's getting close to calving, or is going to be a very heavy milker.<p>Jason Trowbridge<br>Southern Angus Farms<br>Alberta Canada
<br>

[email protected]

Thanks for the information. She is close to calving. It just does not look like the rest of my heifers. She seems like she is fine and I cannot see any type of open wound. This makes sense. Can this be dangerous or hurt the cow?? <p>
<br>

[email protected]

It's not a bad thing, it's something more common in diary breeds than beef, but a heavy milking beef heifer is a good thing unless you can't feed her enough to rebreed.<p>Jason Trowbridge<br>Southern Angus Farms<br>Alberta Canada
<br>

[email protected]

Latest posts