New Catfish Bait

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Weather has been to mild to think about hunting so I decided to try a little fishing. Tried a new bait as well. Raisins. Fella told me catfish loved them. Based on today's catch, he was right. Had nightcrawlers too but didn't catch many until I put a raisin on the hook and then started to fill the cooler. Caught more than a good mess so it looks like I'll be eating fish for breakfast too. Anybody ever heard of using raisins?

raisins?!
they dont even smell...

i caught the biggest speckled perch i have ever seen on a piece of hot dog.

for cats i use cheese. catFISH, that is.

I believe you. When we used to run trot lines in the river, we would find a scuppernong vine...put a line underneath it and bait the hooks with them. Scuppernongs that is.

You pond fishing or river fishing?

The only way I can catch yellow cat (some call them flatheads)is on perch. Don't much care for channel cat but they'll bite anything that is rotten and stinking.

What kind of cat are you catching on raisins?

I was pond fishing but I got the tip from a fella who talked to some commercial trot-line fisherman. I was catching chanels.

The minister of my church was telling me the other day that he puts soybeans in a 5 gallon bucket full of water and lets it ferment for a couple of weeks. Then he dumps that into the lake and a few minutes later, catfish everywhere. He said it isn't illegal but it should be. Corn works too but you get a lot of carp on corn. crazy.

KS Cattle":1p8ik21k said:
The minister of my church was telling me the other day that he puts soybeans in a 5 gallon bucket full of water and lets it ferment for a couple of weeks. Then he dumps that into the lake and a few minutes later, catfish everywhere. He said it isn't illegal but it should be. Corn works too but you get a lot of carp on corn. crazy.

I've baited bass fishing spots before with cans of dogfood with holes punched in them. Toss them out in the area I plan to fish then come back and fish the spot a few days later. My theory on this is it brings minnows into the area. Works pretty good too. For crappie, I put down black willow brush. The salyicitic acid in the stems seems to do something for the crappie. Works much better than red cedar or x-mas trees.

Medic24":12v62luc said:
Wow.learn something new everyday huh?

Just like I never knew till the other day that raisins and grapes can kill a dog? hummm who knew? :cboy:

Why is that? I've also heard not to give dogs chocalate.

Jogeephus":2uddu31u said:
Medic24":2uddu31u said:

Just like I never knew till the other day that raisins and grapes can kill a dog? hummm who knew? :cboy:

my dogs eat grapes and chocolate and I see no ill effects. Had a dog in the past who ate the grapes in the vineyards and he lived to be 13.

KNERSIE":2vtewob2 said:
Jogeephus":2vtewob2 said:
Medic24":2vtewob2 said:

my dogs eat grapes and chocolate and I see no ill effects. Had a dog in the past who ate the grapes in the vineyards and he lived to be 13.

I had an old dog that did the same thing, but she waited until they fermented on the vine before she would eat them.

dun":ttwvi4xa said:
KNERSIE":ttwvi4xa said:
Jogeephus":ttwvi4xa said:
Medic24":ttwvi4xa said:

I had an old dog that did the same thing, but she waited until they fermented on the vine before she would eat them.

was she adicted? :lol:

KNERSIE":2xvmv1zy said:
dun":2xvmv1zy said:
KNERSIE":2xvmv1zy said:
Jogeephus":2xvmv1zy said:
Medic24":2xvmv1zy said:

was she adicted? :lol:

Nope, just a darn happy drunk!

Latest posts