New carcass heifer- Show results!!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

aussie_cowgirl

Reaction score
Weird, I thought I posted this...

Anyway, this is my heifer for this years carcass competition at the state show in a months time. She's a Hereford x Angus and I don't think she's too bad. She won't win anything but I reckon we'll walk away with a place. At the moment she's weighing 391kg, I'm hoping she'll get close to 450kg so we're at the top of the medium weight class.

5660_151697003641_518128641_3534811_6973145_n.jpg

5660_151697023641_518128641_3534812_8451_n.jpg

5660_151696993641_518128641_3534810_3415787_n.jpg

She looks like she is going to deliver a fine finished product. I like the amount of muscle she is carying and her width.

Does she have an attitude or is it common to use nose rings in market animals?

All animals at our shows need to have some sort of nose grip or ring, because these are market animals they just put a nose ring in everything, steer or heifer, so they don't have to mess around buying nose grips. She's got a lovely temperament actually. Still pretty green but she'll be right for show.

Knersie I'm not entirely sure of her age. If they are 2 tooth at the show they get disqualified. As a guess she's probably about 15 months old.

Over here, most shows do not allow you to use a nose ring. Bulls are required over a certain age to have them but with everything else they won't let you in the ring if it has a nose ring.

VCC":2ssmjtnm said:
Over here, most shows do not allow you to use a nose ring. Bulls are required over a certain age to have them but with everything else they won't let you in the ring if it has a nose ring.

I don't know about that. I've had 2 heifers and at least 5 steers who have been ringed and never had a problem.

I probably misspoke, in our area they do not allow you to show with a nose ring, if your market animal needs a nose ring they assume you can not control it and should not be showing it. Probably not the smartest thing to do but hay what ever. The hidden reason would be that the bleeding hearts would probably complain about cruelty to animals.

Anymore I think allot of the rules they implement are for appearances more than fixing a problem or safety.

We are in California, We should probablybe happy that they still let animals be raised for food in the state.

Aussie what is a carcass competition ,and what are the criteria you choose when you select an animal to compete ?

VCC":1s8d7nem said:
I probably misspoke, in our area they do not allow you to show with a nose ring, if your market animal needs a nose ring they assume you can not control it and should not be showing it. Probably not the smartest thing to do but hay what ever. The hidden reason would be that the bleeding hearts would probably complain about cruelty to animals.

Anymore I think allot of the rules they implement are for appearances more than fixing a problem or safety.

We are in California, We should probablybe happy that they still let animals be raised for food in the state.

:lol2: I thought that might be a cali only thing.

hillsdown":3e6enkvo said:
Aussie what is a carcass competition ,and what are the criteria you choose when you select an animal to compete ?

Oh this heifer is going into what we call a hoof and hook competition so she initially will be judged on the hoof as a finished animal (so growth, muscling, fat cover and eveness of fat cover) to be killed a few days later, then she will be auctioned and slaughtered and judged for carcass qualities so, marbling, EMA, fat colour, meat colour, tenderness and so on. When I look for an animal normally it's a few months before the show so you look for a growthy animal with good capacity. As you're feeding them up you monitor there weight and their fat scans. That's pretty much it. Of course if you buy a steer it's a gamble about his carcass qualities because you don't know. Certain breed crossings seem to do well.

Just got a phonecall from the girls showing this heifer. She won Grand Champion Lightweight animal (<400kg) and they're just waiting to find out how she goes in the overall led steer championship. I am so buzzed.

Latest posts