New Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

jscunn

Reaction score
DSC_2292.jpg

DSC_2293.jpg

DSC_2299.jpg

DSC_2287.jpg

I love this time of year, two years of hard work raising, feeding, and breeding the mothers all pays off on afternoons like today. Fall has finally come to the deep South, thank goodness. Now the cycle repeats itself, hopefully. I am already thinking about who to AI the babies to, do I have a disease?

I know what you mean. We start calving in a couple of weeks. First calves from new bull. Can't wait! Nice lookin calves.

jscunn

Good looking calves, It doesn't look like mamma is gonna starve her baby thats for sure. I am suffering from the same desease been doing paper sorts on my heifers to figure out what bull to put them in with. I love this time of year, this evening when I was doing the herd check this cool spell had the babies out playing tag. It just doesn't get any better than a beautiful cool evening with pretty babies playing!

Nice heifers and calves. They look like the type I am trying to reach with my cattle. If you don't mind, please share what A.I. bulls you seem to get the best heifers from. I am new to raising angus and many of the bred heifers I bought dont milk well and I have decided to raise my own out of my best older cows.
Thanks,
Robert Rice

bubcub,

The top two pictures are Sydgen 1407 Corona daughters with a Connealy Forward heifers, cant use Corona anymore because he is a carrier of AM. Corona might have been the best female sire we have ever used, moderate and full of volume, slick haired with good udders and good dispositions. Fortunately lucky enough to have some Corona daughters like these that are free of the AM genetic defect.

Used Connealy Forward, after seeing calves at 3 locations same type of cattle as Corona's maybe alittle bigger at maturity and not quite as slick haired.

The third picture from the top is a couple of Sydgen Trust calves, used him on mostly commercial Angus heifers and all of them came early 7-10 early, really happy so far, (they have a long way to go).

The bottom picture is the baldie heifer in the front left (orange tag) is a SAF Directive. Used him mostly on herefords that needed alittle length of spine and stretch to them. He will put some milk in them as well.

Thanks Jscunn for the information. I am going to do some research on the bulls you listed. About what frame size are your heifers?

ALAcowmen,

Buy shitty land, have to put in terraces.. :D

Seriously, we have some slope on that land. It is old farm ground.

jscunn

Your calves look great, we have been busy with new babies as well. One of those good news bad news things our first recip calved today a week early with a set of twin heifers. Both calves made it, the recip is a good ole cow that should be able to take care of them but you know that goes they still start small and it is a uphill climb. We also had another set of twins today, I sure hope that is the end of the twins. The second set was a heifer and bull out of a really nice young cow and Sinclair Rito 3R9 so that stinks. The embroyo calves are out of the old VDAR Elluna 97 cow and New Trend 315 so some really old genetics on top and bottom.

Gizmom

Gizmom,

Twins stink, we had 3 sets last year all single sex, thank goodness. Even better every cow raised them both. Had a 13 yr old raise a set of twin heifers that sold for $850 and $650 30 days after weaning. Safe to say she made us money last year, as close as I come to winning the lotto that is for sure.

I really do need to come see the calves, would love to see how the 315 calves stack up against more "modern" genetics.. Certainly differences in type between 315 and Legacy. 315 stacks two of my favorite bulls of all time AAR New Trend and PS Power Play.

I hope you are done with twins for now.

Looking at the heifers today, I really think the heifer you like is gonna calve to the AI date.. Excited about that for sure.

jscunn

I want to get over to see yours as well, are you finding lighter than normal this year? Of course the twins are really tiny at this point, the recip on the 315 heifers is a ten year old cow that milks really well so I think se will do ok. The other cow is a 2007 model that has plenty of milk so she should be ok. But I really hate twins, I sure hope I can do as well as you did with yours! When is the heifer due? I sure hope she has a AI baby for you she is a good rip I imagine her calf is going to be very powerful. I have a feeling we are both going to be in high gear for awhile yet we have calved 37 and stll have a bunch to go. By the time to check for calves and just take care of everything it doesn't leave much time for anything else but I this is still my favorite time of year. I love seeing all the babies.

Gizmom

We have only calved the AI heifers so far, still have the other heifers and most of the cows to go. Should not start with the calves til the last week of this month. So plenty of work left. All the steers are at the barn, so you should see more of them there when you pass by. Not as good as last years group, IMO. The heifers are better though, so I will take the trade off.

You are welcome anytime.

The heifer was bred March 8 so she is due December 13. The vet called her bred on March 20 but she wasnt with the bull til April 9th.. So dead in between. Really hoping that she has the AI baby myself.