New Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

tim1970

Reaction score
Here is a couple pictures of my new calves. Since this is my first attempt, I would like to get everyones opinion on these 2. Also I would like some help identifying them. I'm guessing the first one has some longhorn in him. The 2nd one I was told by the owner I bought him from that he was angus/holstein mix. Also, I thought it was funny that the first has a marking that looks like the state of texas on his back leg :lol:

Ribeye02.jpg

tbone02.jpg

Are these calves that you are bottle feeding? How old are they? I would say that the red and white one looks like a Longhorn-kinda looks like it may be polled but that depends on how old he is? He's probably out of a Longhorn parent and who knows what the other half is. The other one looks like a Holstein/Angus cross. They'll both probably make good beef.

I am not sure how old they are. The longhorn mix, was 250 lbs 2 weeks ago when he was bought at auction. Neither one is being bottle fed.

Tim

The black one if it has any angus is very, very little. Looks more like a straight Holstein to me

dun

the 1st calf is a longhorn.the 2nd calf is a fullblood holstein.they are nice calves.how much feed are they eating.scott

My guess is the first one could have some shorthorn in it. The second one could go angus/holstein or holstein.

I agree with the most of the group, 1st calf is 1/2 longhorn and the second is all holstein. Looks like you have nicely built setup for them---best of luck with the calves

I'm thinking longhorn mix for #1 and Angus- Holstine mix on #2 he's heavy on the black for pure holstine.

ctlbaron":yex6p35a said:
I'm thinking longhorn mix for #1 and Angus- Holstine mix on #2 he's heavy on the black for pure holstine.

Holsteine cattle come in a lot of patterns from almost all white to nearlly black. The second calf is little or no angus influance.

Second one's a holstein. Ditto to what mwj said. The white spot on his head and four white feet is a dead give-away to being holstein. Angus/holstein crosses have very little white on them.

Here's an 2 1/2 month old angus/holstein cross for comparison-
bess7705.JPG

Latest posts