NEW CALVES

Help Support CattleToday:

rc

Reaction score
The calves I have waited for for it seems so long have finally stated arriving. I found the first day before yesterday and two more yesterday afternoon. It's awfully hot but they are in some woods where it's much cooler. I have 6 more heifers to calve so hopefully I'll find some more today. I'm a horseman new to cows but the same amount of wonderment is there seeing the newborns. It always seems like an "enchanted moment" seeing new life. We have the heifers so calm from horses being ridden through the herd that we can ride right up and check them out. I just wanted to blow off about this, thanks for listening and the help recieved on this board. Love these cows.......

When those new arrivals come, it makes all the hard work seem like nothing. Brings a level of satisfaction unmatched in any other occupation. ;-)

Congrats on your new borns. I get excited every year at the start of calving season. After all, that's why we have them for the other 12 months of the year, just for this moment. I actually enjoy working with the cows, feeding, watching them grow, halter breaking a few, but the absolute best is seeing a new born calf, with it's mama licking it off, making the soft "Mother Love" moos, and watching him get his wheels for the first time, so he can get his lunch from mom. Congrats again, and hope all goes well!

Congrats! Sort of like being a kid on Christmas morning. Ya, never know what is under the wrappings.

Congrats....when you see the front feet and nose sticking out, its like opening a anticipated Christmas present. Lets you know why you stayed on the farm.....Sue & Dave Mc

It's a hoot! Like hunting for Easter eggs. You never know what your going to find. I have a BD bull and he has always produced black calves with two Charlaois cows we have. This year we had a what looked like a soot covered grey calf with mascara around the eyes and black ears. Look's odd with the other calves but his momma loves him.

I haven't expirenced it yet on a onership level bet I am hoping to in a month or two. Congrats on the new borns! Hope they gain well.
Thanks Kaneranch

kaneranch":149yzcyh said:
I haven't expirenced it yet on a onership level bet I am hoping to in a month or two. Congrats on the new borns! Hope they gain well.
Thanks Kaneranch

I get just as tickled by a new calf if it's sombody elses that I AIed for them.

dun

Just started fall calving Sunday and have 9 on the ground. I can sit for hours and watch the calves run and play. Wish I had that much energy.

Calving is a truly magical time of the the year! :D Somehow those little babies can erase all the stress, exhaustion, worries and difficulty. I can sit and watch them play, explore, and investigate for hours, laughing my a#% off the whole time!

the new calves are wonder thats for sure.i see it yr round here.always wonder how meny will be ready to shipp in oct nov.an whats left goes in the spring.they love to run an play.scott

It is a great feeling to have and watch the calves, cows too for that matter. Find a shade, or comfortable place, n just sit sometimes for hours. I feel like to me it feels like maybe a few drinks, would be to an alcoholic, or drugs to an addict. I am glad that I'm not the only one who feels like that, I thought maybe I was about a hamburger shy of a happy meal. Probably am too. Hope all the luck to all, n keep on u can't help but love it.

LOL. i have this one calf-shes a little gray heifer-she follows me around when i go to check on the cows. one day i put it in reverse and hauled butt and she took off. now that was funny. but now she just chases me (kind of annoying sometimes b/c she'll get others following me). anyway, whenever she starts chasing me i'll hit the breaks and *BAM* forehead in the bumper. i must have done this 6 times the other day and everytime she would smack her head. it was hilarious. i'm planning on keeping her. (might make a good lead cow one day?)