New calves a little wild!

Help Support CattleToday:

kenojoe

Reaction score
I just got 3 500-600 pound calves from my neighbor 7 days ago. They got shots, wormed and taken to a scale to get weighed. They have been in the corral for 7 days and are still pretty jumpy. My question is, how long will it take for them to settle down? I have been going up twice a day and giving them a little feed and talking to them for about an hour at night. I have been spending as much time as possible around the barn and corral to get them use to me. I can see some improvement but they are far from calm. This is the first time I have gotten just calves. Any advice would be appreciated. Joe

kenojoe":2kzdi67w said:
I just got 3 500-600 pound calves from my neighbor 7 days ago. They got shots, wormed and taken to a scale to get weighed. They have been in the corral for 7 days and are still pretty jumpy. My question is, how long will it take for them to settle down? I have been going up twice a day and giving them a little feed and talking to them for about an hour at night. I have been spending as much time as possible around the barn and corral to get them use to me. I can see some improvement but they are far from calm. This is the first time I have gotten just calves. Any advice would be appreciated. Joe

Sometimes can take 3-4 weeks (or longer). Also helps to put them with several calm cattle. On other hand, some calves can always be jumpy and flighty even when they grow into yearlings or older. As you know "temperament" is 40% inherited.

However, you are on the right track for trying to acclimate them...be around them, talk to them, let them know you are their "friend" and not foe. They also might need to be moved to a larger area so they can burn off some of their energy and not feel like they are "in prison" and unable to escape from imagined dangers.

Along the same lines as RAB, it could take a couple of more weeks or so. Is it possible for you to put an older calmer cow or 2 in there with them? That can help speed things along and they will 'know' them when they are put out with the herd.

Spending time around them, fiddling with stuff around their pen, talking to them does help. Most importantly, be consistent.

Katherine

You're doing exactly what you should be doing in my opinion. Be patient, they will come around. I usually get about 50% of them to eat cake out of my hand.

Having a couple tame cows with them will help keep them in your fence and on your property. Hate to bring bad news. If you got into some high headed wild cattle, you ain't going to tame them. Be more careful on what you buy. It's easy to look over cattle and tell their disposition.

kenojoe":ubxtgh4r said:

Land sakes! That's way more than I talk to my wife. Course she complains about my time spent on CT.

You just said calves. Heifers or steers and what do you plan to do with them? If it is just steers for the freezer it doesn't make much difference.

I had one spooky heifer last year that didn't calm down till she was about 18 months old and I was feeding square bales under the barn to her and about 10 other heavy bred heifers. She finally figured out it was OK but some never do.

Thanks for the replies. I walked over to the neighbors and he let me have my pick. They all act like angels when they are home, but like kids, they act up when they get out on their own I guess. I got 2 heifers and 1 steer, they are Wagui/ Limo. cross. I just plan on getting some weight on them and selling them off for beef. I will see if one of the neighbors wants to run a few cows on my place as I have plenty of grass this year. I have raised cows and calves before but never just calves. Gave them 2 acres last night, hopefully they will calm down with a little more room. Thanks Joe

Latest posts