new calf

Help Support CattleToday:

holly heifer

Reaction score
:D Heifer just dropped her second calf, she is cleaning it up. This is in Indiana, it is about 50 degrees
with light rain. Do I put them in the barn or leave them outside? :eek:

holly heifer":392gasdx said:
:D Heifer just dropped her second calf, she is cleaning it up. This is in Indiana, it is about 50 degrees

I would say as long as the little fella gets up and gets his colostrum, he should be just fine. 50 degrees isn't too cold, but the rain could cause some hypothermia if he doesn't get up and nurse.

I would have given alot to have some 50 degree calving days this past February. :lol2:

holly heifer":3qu2ci2a said:

Calves are routinely born on snow and do extremely well.

Put that animal outside on grass - even dead grass - it will do far better than in a barn - which is a great place for an animal to get sick.

Light rain is nothing to be concerned about. Temp is morethan warm enough.

Leave the door open if you are truly concerned - if they want shelter they will take it.

Bez+

Momma and calf are in large grass lot ( our grass is still some what green) so there is no mud.
There is no shelter in that pasture. I can move them to the show lot where the barn is ( door can be left open) . Calf is up and nursing :heart: I do think they are better off in the grass. Thanks guys!

holly heifer":3gvm0na6 said:
Momma and calf are in large grass lot ( our grass is still some what green) so there is no mud.
There is no shelter in that pasture. I can move them to the show lot where the barn is ( door can be left open) . Calf is up and nursing :heart: I do think they are better off in the grass. Thanks guys!

As long as that calf is pulling on mom's tits hard and you see it dripping milk from around its mouth - just leave them be - they will be fine.

Regards

Bez+

:? I can't post pics here from work and I do not have a pc at home. The calf is doing great, he is a
herf. :heart: The heifer had her second calf ( meaning now she is a full fledged cow! :lol: )

Latest posts