New Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a heifer that just gave birth to a cute little heifer. This happened on Thursday of last week. Over the weekend, it appears that the momma has started to reject the calf. On Sunday, I feed the calf some calf starter because it looked so dehydrated and could barely walk. When the baby walks up to the momma, she just walks away from the calf. They are now penned up in the corral with hay and water. The momma is a Tiger-Stripe and people have told me that this is a trait of the Brahma. I open open for suggestions or advise. I just want the calf to live. The momma is not very protective of the calf but she is pretty pissed off at being penned.

[email protected]

When the baby walks
> up to the momma, she just walks
> away from the calf. They are now
> penned up in the corral with hay
> and water. The momma is a
> Tiger-Stripe and people have told
> me that this is a trait of the
> Brahma. I open open for
> suggestions or advise. I just want
> the calf to live. The momma is not
> very protective of the calf but
> she is pretty pissed off at being
> penned.

What I would do, is hobble the mommas back legs, so she cant kick at the calf when she tries to nurse. If the calf isnt nursing, you also may have to rope the mom, tie her tight to a very strong post and help the baby latch on the teat. If this is a first time heifer, she may just need time up in the corral to get used to her baby. Good luck!

[email protected]

The calf will be in trouble if he hasn't had colostrum from the momma within 24 hours. If he's not nursing, you'll have to restrain the cow and put the calf on.

I raise reg. Brahmans, and this is not a characteristic of the breed. Brahmans are generally excellent mothers.

[email protected]

Latest posts