New Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

bo96319

Active member
Joined
Sep 18, 2005
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
Location
Arizona
Hi all, my cow just had her and my first calf, I saw her at lunch with no calf or signs and then when I came home from work she was standing there with a little one!!! Everything seems to be going just fine, however, I was told by my wifes Grandpa (who 40 years ago worked on a dairy farm) I need to milk the cow every morning and night...milk her dry or she will get mastis and die. Now, I am more of a nature will take care of things kinda guy. I am new to this and did not try to start a cow calf farm, but things happen and well you all sound like you have more expieriance than me, so what do you say... The calf drank or milked a few times and had a white broth on the corners of her mouth. Should I milk her or just keep an eye on them, also should I take her away from other cows? I have holstien and a LONG HORN <---love them long horns! anyway leave em milk em???
 

randiliana

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 24, 2005
Messages
4,807
Reaction score
4
Location
Saskatchewan, Canada
bo96319":et4w2hfx said:
Hi all, my cow just had her and my first calf, I saw her at lunch with no calf or signs and then when I came home from work she was standing there with a little one!!! Everything seems to be going just fine, however, I was told by my wifes Grandpa (who 40 years ago worked on a dairy farm) I need to milk the cow every morning and night...milk her dry or she will get mastis and die. Now, I am more of a nature will take care of things kinda guy. I am new to this and did not try to start a cow calf farm, but things happen and well you all sound like you have more expieriance than me, so what do you say... The calf drank or milked a few times and had a white broth on the corners of her mouth. Should I milk her or just keep an eye on them, also should I take her away from other cows? I have holstien and a LONG HORN <---love them long horns! anyway leave em milk em???

What kind of cow is this one? If it is the longhorn, no problem she shouldn't need milking. If it is holstein, maybe she needs milking, although we have one here as a nurse cow, and we only milked her to get the colostrum, other than that we left her alone with her baby until we needed her. We haven't had any problem with her, mind you she isn't an exceptional milker. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Keep an eye on her and do what YOU think is best.
 
OP
B

bo96319

Active member
Joined
Sep 18, 2005
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
Location
Arizona
Randiliana,
This was the Herford forgot to add that so happy about the little one I am going to add pics in a few min.
 

randiliana

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 24, 2005
Messages
4,807
Reaction score
4
Location
Saskatchewan, Canada
Well, since it is a beef cow I wouldn't worry about her at all. The only time we milk a beef cow is if her teats are too big for a calf to get ahold of. Since your baby is sucking already, I don't think you have a problem.
 
OP
B

bo96319

Active member
Joined
Sep 18, 2005
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
Location
Arizona
Here are the pics
DSC01218.JPG


DSC01213.JPG


DSC01207.JPG


She is doing great for her first calf lets me come up and check her and baby out! Think I will keep breading her.
DSC01204.JPG
 

randiliana

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 24, 2005
Messages
4,807
Reaction score
4
Location
Saskatchewan, Canada
Nice calf!! I wouldn't worry about milking the cow though :D I can't see her udder really well, but from what I can see, it looks OK. As long as the calf is full you don't have a problem!!
 

cypressfarms

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 5, 2005
Messages
3,473
Reaction score
27
Location
New Roads, LA
bo96319,

Just my opinion, but I definitely wouldn't milk her. Her bag is barely big enough to see in the pic. I'd leave her alone to do her job; sounds like she's already doing it. Maybe grandfather in law is just thinking about holsteins, or 40 years of memories have changed things?

By the way, that's not a hereford. But mom and baby look fine. Congrats.
 
A

Anonymous

Lovely calf. Wouldn't bolther milking mum unless baby is having probs. Can I ask the breeding of the calf? And are you sure that cow is a Hereford? Looks like something else to me!
Congrats again! :)
 
OP
B

bo96319

Active member
Joined
Sep 18, 2005
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
Location
Arizona
Thanks

Well I was told the Cow was a Hereford X not by the breeder but by a friend. I did not want a cow calf deal yet, but this cow got out and ran down the road the guys who saw her put her in with thier cows and bulls. you can guess what happend next, I believe he has Angus bulls.
What do you think the Cow is...if not a hereford then what could she be?
 
A

Anonymous

Not positive, but... looks like it could be a simmy, charolais cross or something similar? Not sure bout the horns... most Simmy's here are polled. And the head shape has me confused!
 

cypressfarms

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 5, 2005
Messages
3,473
Reaction score
27
Location
New Roads, LA
bo96319":i0g3k7s8 said:
Thanks

Well I was told the Cow was a Hereford X not by the breeder but by a friend. I did not want a cow calf deal yet, but this cow got out and ran down the road the guys who saw her put her in with thier cows and bulls. you can guess what happend next, I believe he has Angus bulls.
What do you think the Cow is...if not a hereford then what could she be?

Could be a 2nd or 3 generation mixed hereford, or simi/char cross as some have stated. A first generation cow (hereford) wouldn't throw a solid black calf. It would take at least a few generations to get the white out.
But it really doesn't matter, as long as she's a good cow, raises a good calf every year, she appears to be a keeper.
 

randiliana

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 24, 2005
Messages
4,807
Reaction score
4
Location
Saskatchewan, Canada
cypressfarms":32idhe6o said:
A first generation cow (hereford) wouldn't throw a solid black calf. It would take at least a few generations to get the white out.

I have to disagree with you here, but I have seen the occaisional straight bred hereford cow throw a solid black (or red ) calf. In fact we have a 3 year old straight bred hereford cow here right now that had a solid black calf last year and a solid red one this year :shock: . I have also seen straight bred black/red angus cows throw hereford calves too.... :D
 

ALACOWMAN

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 8, 2005
Messages
16,916
Reaction score
41
Location
Alabama the Beautiful
momas udder and teats look good from what i see dont worry about it and dont mess with her UNLESS you feel theres trouble you can do more harm than good. a milk cow can give too much milk and need milking beside it needs that first milk for antibodies for the immune system and it digestive system
 

CowCop

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 30, 2004
Messages
673
Reaction score
0
Location
VERMONT
~~

Looks like a nice Simmental mix cow.

One of her parents could of been black, hence the black calf now.

My RED SimAngus heifer dropped a 85 lb all black bull calf last evening.

Congrats on the calf and welcome to the Boards.
 

dun

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
47,334
Reaction score
20
Location
MO Ozarks
If a red cow throws a black calf there is na etheopian in the fuel supply somewhere. There are people that claim that it hapens frequently, unless a red genes mutates, not very common, when red is bred to red the result is red. The same goes for 2 straightbred angus animals throwing a white face. There are pretty much only 3 gene pairs that are really well understood. White face, solid color, i.e. red/black and horns.

dun
 

Similar threads

Latest posts

Top