New Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

afret

Reaction score
I have only two cows and now a healthy (or seems to be) new born brought into this world only two hours ago. This is my first experience with newborns etc. My question is this: Does the cow have to eat any of the placenta or can I clean it from the stall right away? Also, how long before I need to vaccinate and for what? Thanks to all who choose to help! :D

Some cows will eat all of it, some won;t eat any of it, others will only eat some of it. Although there may be something to the eating of the placenta that helps to encourage milk production, I've never seen a difference in a calf from a cow that did eat it or didn;t. The eating of the placenta is more of a predator/prey instinct. That is the cleaning up of the birthing area to discourage predation.
The vaccination deal in some ways depends on the area your in. Check with a local large animal vet that knows cows.

dun

Do like Dun says, and consult a vet for sure. But just about all newborn vaccination programs give 1-3 months as a guideline. So unless something goes wrong you've got some time.

CJ

You should iodine the naval, give a AD&E vitamin shot, and we also have to give a selenium shot for our area. You have to purchase it from a vet.
We try to give this soon after nursing.
Number one concern is to make sure the calf sucks!!! Must get colostrom - best within 1 hour - needed prior to 12 hours, useless after 24 hours.

Latest posts