New calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Rustler9

Reaction score
Ya'll, I'm as tickled as if you had just given me a new Cadillac. My old Hereford x Beefmaster cow calved last night. Sure is a pretty heifer. Old Betsy is 17 years old. I'm really proud of her. I'l get a picture and post it in a couple of days. I just have to brag on her for doing so well at her age. She is my son's old cow that my dad gave to him as a weaned heifer when he was four years old. He's now 21. :D

Good news! Congratulations. I had an old polled hereford cow that my dad raised. She was born in 1979. He sold out in 1994, and I bought her. She stayed in my herd until 2001 when I sold her because she finally had a subpar calf. She never missed a calf and raised 2 sets of twins. The only calf she had to die was one born in 1996 that came breech. I put a Holstein bull calf on her that year and she raised it to 550 lbs in 7 months at age 17. I just about cried when I sold her. Born when I was 9, sold when I was 31. Old cows like mine and yours are special.

Kent":1ujj3ynn said:
Good news! Congratulations. I had an old polled hereford cow that my dad raised. She was born in 1979. He sold out in 1994, and I bought her. She stayed in my herd until 2001 when I sold her because she finally had a subpar calf. She never missed a calf and raised 2 sets of twins. The only calf she had to die was one born in 1996 that came breech. I put a Holstein bull calf on her that year and she raised it to 550 lbs in 7 months at age 17. I just about cried when I sold her. Born when I was 9, sold when I was 31. Old cows like mine and yours are special.

Good for you Rustler. Congrats.

Good job Kent. That's an old mama. I just hauled "mamma cow" to the pen at age 20 after 18 calves. She was R Angus/HH.

I guess when we haul old Betsy off it'll be to the grave yard-she's been around so long she's almost an icon on the farm. I know we are in the business to sell these animals but we figure that she paid her way a long time ago. Guess she'll spend the rest of her days there.

Rustler9":13i5oiho said:
I guess when we haul old Betsy off it'll be to the grave yard-she's been around so long she's almost an icon on the farm. I know we are in the business to sell these animals but we figure that she paid her way a long time ago. Guess she'll spend the rest of her days there.

Best friend turned his hereford herd black 10 years ago. Now breeding club calves. Has a ball playing with the little show calves, sells high dollar steers and clubby heifers. Just loves it. Mentioned a while back that I was heading to town with the trailer, asked if there was anything he wanted to send. Told me to come get the hereford. That old cow had been there ever sence I can remember. And like Rustler said, she was the icon of the farm. Could pick her out of the black herd from any hilltop. He wanted rid of her before he had to bury her. She put him on the map, and he wasn't putting her in the ground. Mean and gruff as he is...he couldn't do it.
Long story but, I wouldn't haul her for him. I didn't shoot his dog for him when he called either. Made is son do it. ;-)

Congrats on the calf Rustler!! think we all have an old cow that doesn't owe us anything.

that old cow earned her place in your herd.she is still paying her way an calving. scott