New calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Tomcolvin

Reaction score
I posted the birth on another place on caving issues, but now q day after arrival, when I came home from work, still raining and tornado watch is still out. The calf laying out in the rain facing the fence so I helped him/her get up and it walked around. I weighed it on at about 50- 53 pounds. I move it under the shed but mama move it back out in the rain. When I left it was laying on the rain on the hay I put out for the mama. I still have not seen it suck and due to the rain, I left. I won't go back until morning. I hope it is getting it's milk from mom.

Seems like it is time to get them penned in the barn or shed for a day or two where she can't get it out in the rain; or separate them for awhile and then see if it sucks when you put them back together.

I too would pen them up. Those cows sure can be stubborn sometimes. I had a calf that its mom would lay it under the fence. I would move him and she would move him back. I may be a little concerned, just because of how small it is. We had a 55 lbs. bull calf earlier this month. He spent the entire day in torrential rain. I did see him nurse though. He is doing great now.

I cut back on mom's feed about 6 weeks ago because she is only 18- 19 months old when she birthday. I didn't want the calf to be too large. Maybe prayers answered and she/he will be fine. Maybe since rain has stopped I can see what see is, boy or girl. Thanks.

Ok, first time since birth that I saw it eat on its own. This eve when I was feeding hay the baby calf moved in and started business. She only sucked about 2-3 minutes then mom moved. I think she may have went back while I was feeding. I saw yellow poop in 2-3 places (not scours) so I am now assuming that it must be eating/sucking. I mean it don't come out if it don't go in, right?

Tomcolvin":2bt37j2d said:
I mean it don't come out if it don't go in, right?

Wrong.

You want to know he's sucking you either need to pen them up or separate them. The calf nursing is the only real sign the calf is nursing.

Latest posts