New calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Tomcolvin

Reaction score
New calf born on rain storm with tornado warnings every where. Soaking wet when I found them. Calf about 2-3 hours old. What do I need to give the calf? Maybe pasturella pnemonia shot. If so how much? Anything else?

Tomcolvin":1t5n3nwq said:
New calf born on rain storm with tornado warnings every where. Soaking wet when I found them. Calf about 2-3 hours old. What do I need to give the calf? Maybe pasturella pnemonia shot. If so how much? Anything else?

If it's up and nursing. I wouldn't do a thing

That's just it. I made it nurse a little but haven't seen it do it on its own. But then they are in the pasture and I at the house. I can't see them from where I am. Too much rain and bad weather at the moment.

They can take getting rained on. Its usually best to give em space in my opinion. As long as the cow seems to looking after it. Sometimes to much meddling will do more harm than good. Try to observe from a distance. A calf that gets up and stretches when you approach is a good sign. A calf that frantically tires to nurse all the wrong places is a bad sign. Though as long as mom cooperates they usually get it figured out.
With a brand new calf look for just one teat nursed down.
I would rather one be born in the rain than in 90 degree heat and rained on a week later.

callmefence":2fhel9hf said:
They can take getting rained on. Its usually best to give em space in my opinion. As long as the cow seems to looking after it. Sometimes to much meddling will do more harm than good. Try to observe from a distance. A calf that gets up and stretches when you approach is a good sign. A calf that frantically tires to nurse all the wrong places is a bad sign. Though as long as mom cooperates they usually get it figured out.
With a brand new calf look for just one teat nursed down.
I would rather one be born in the rain than in 90 degree heat and rained on a week later.

Well put Fence.

Ken

Latest posts