new calf with yearling heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

Kim A

Reaction score
Hi folks,

My cow had her new calf a couple of days ago. Last years calf is out with them in a 2 acre pasture. The yearling seems to be rather jealous of the new guy. Pushing and poking etc. Should they be separated or do they just need to establish a pecking order?

If they need to be separated, how long would you suggest?

Thanks!

What are the sexes and weights of the two "calves?" If they're both bulls, might want to separate them. If older is a bull and younger is heifer, when she has her first cycle (can happen at a very young, toooo sooooon age). Other issue is that the larger older calf may push younger one away from feed or hay when younger starts eating those things. Definitely at weaning age of 6-7 months heifers and bull calves should not be together unless you want (perhaps) an "unwanted" pregnancy in a too young heifer.

We keep calves & yearlings about the same age/weights together. If a calf is still nursing his/her dam, then another older one may not be too much of a problem...???

Seperate the "supposed to be weaned" calf from them so the 2 or 3 day old calf can get the milk that it needs.

Yearling is a 700# heifer (longhorn) and bull calf is 2 days old and full brother. He will be banded shortly.

Heifer has been weaned for about 4 mos and is not trying to nurse. Just being kind of rough with the calf. I was hoping everyone could get along as I don't have a lot of room.

I'm worried that calf could possibly be hurt by the rough play.

Kim A":p2zuexg8 said:
Yearling is a 700# heifer (longhorn) and bull calf is 2 days old and full brother. He will be banded shortly.

Heifer has been weaned for about 4 mos and is not trying to nurse. Just being kind of rough with the calf. I was hoping everyone could get along as I don't have a lot of room.

I'm worried that calf could possibly be hurt by the rough play.

Yes the calf could be hurt by the "rough play"