new calf skin problem

Help Support CattleToday:

tjs4angus

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a 3 week old black wf calf born to a angus heifer. At first it looked normal when born other then I thought its face was very pink. Within a few days it started to rub and scratch its face on everything and now has rubbed most of the hair off its forehead and her skin on her head is very pink. It also seems that the skin on the rest of her body is chafing badly under the hair. I took pictures to the vet and he didn't really know what it could be. The calf seems normal and healthy other then this. We gave her a shot of A,D & E and some Duramycin antibiotic on Saturday. Haven't notice much improvment.

If someone has any ideas I'd love to hear them. I can email a picture but I couldn't upload here.
Thanks, Tim

Yes the cows were vaccinated. I don't see the usual ring worm lesions. The vet thought the the chafing on the rest of her could have been dried amniotic fluid since her momma is a first timer but he is stummped on the pink hairless face. Her temp is normal about 102

skin.jpg

I applied the Ivomec Eprinex yesterday. Directions say 1ml per 22/lb body wgt. I poured on 3ml. We'll see how she does.
Thanks

Latest posts