New calf question

Help Support CattleToday:

reeler

Reaction score
New calf born this morning.First time mom wants to stay with herd. I lured her to calf twice with food.Calf nursed, she ate & left. My other cows have always stayed close to calves first 24 hrs. We have coyotes in area, so I'm concerned. Maybe I'm overreacting :???: I appreciate any feedback.( I can't move calf myself, but could have some help in couple hours, if necessary.)

First calf heifers are essentially teenage girls and yet I retain/calve 'em out every year. As long as she continues to go back to her calf both should be fine. Calves are like fawns, they don't have a lot a scent the first few days and I'm guessing she has her calf hidden in an area not frequented by the coyotes. Not sure what part of OZ you're located but (enormous knock-wood!) we've never lost a calf to 'yotes. I would just keep an eye on the calf - and the mama - to make sure it's nursing, all is okay. Mama will most likely bring the calf into the herd within a couple days.

Thank you so much TC Ranch for your reply. It's gonna be dark soon, & I was hoping for a reply before dark.I'm in SE land of OZ- storms forecasted for tonight.I just took some hay out for the mama, & left it close to the calf. Looked up & there she was! Then came some others & I ran them off. I'll sleep better tonight after reading your reply, thanks again!

I have heifers that do that a lot. I will worry myself about the calves, but the mother always goes back to feed and take care of them. In a few days they won't be able to hide them. The calves will be going with the herd.

It's not unusual for my cows to keep their calves hidden for a day or two. Go to bed and get a good night's sleep.

reeler":1odf6v7m said:
Thank you so much TC Ranch for your reply. It's gonna be dark soon, & I was hoping for a reply before dark.I'm in SE land of OZ- storms forecasted for tonight.I just took some hay out for the mama, & left it close to the calf. Looked up & there she was! Then came some others & I ran them off. I'll sleep better tonight after reading your reply, thanks again!

Holy hail storm! Did you get pounded? I'm headed out to check the damage.

Glad mama showed up in a timely manner :). We calve out our heifers in the barn & keep them there a couple days to make sure the new mama's are "mothering-up" but they almost always still hide their calves when we let them join the herd. There are always a few "helicopter moms" that pretend they're hiding their calf - and stand guard all of 20 yards away - but the majority of them do hang with the herd & make periodic checks. Good luck!

TCRanch":wppinxjd said:

Glad mama showed up in a timely manner :). We calve out our heifers in the barn & keep them there a couple days to make sure the new mama's are "mothering-up" but they almost always still hide their calves when we let them join the herd. There are always a few "helicopter moms" that pretend they're hiding their calf - and stand guard all of 20 yards away - but the majority of them do hang with the herd & make periodic checks. Good luck!

TC Ranch, how bad was your hail damage? We missed the hail. Thanks for explaining how you care for your heifers. Obviously, I'm still learning. The new mama and her baby were with the herd this morning. Both look good! Thanks again.

Williamsv":1gjjfme9 said:
I have heifers that do that a lot. I will worry myself about the calves, but the mother always goes back to feed and take care of them. In a few days they won't be able to hide them. The calves will be going with the herd.
Williamsv, Thanks for your encouragement, and sharing that you worry too. I take a lot of grief for worrying about the babies & cows. They are both doing great today, & I'm so thankful.

Rafter S":py6wlm5l said:
It's not unusual for my cows to keep their calves hidden for a day or two. Go to bed and get a good night's sleep.
Thanks Rafter S! I tried to sleep well last night, but know I'll sleep better tonight because mom & baby are doing well & with the herd.

reeler":2gheif0v said:
TCRanch":2gheif0v said:

TC Ranch, how bad was your hail damage? We missed the hail. Thanks for explaining how you care for your heifers. Obviously, I'm still learning. The new mama and her baby were with the herd this morning. Both look good! Thanks again.

Good to hear!

Had a down tree blocking the road to the barn & limbs everywhere, evidently from straight line winds. Quality time with the chainsaw. Fortunately no significant hail damage.

Latest posts