New Calf **pics**

Help Support CattleToday:

Missy

Reaction score
Hi All,
After posting in the calving section,i thought i would post pics here of my new heifer :D

Dad is a Brangus bull, Mum is ?? i thought brown swiss but i think she has something else going on :help:

Anyway meet "Jessie" 12 hours old
things050.jpg

things059.jpg

And here's mum the day before calving ,suggestions as to what she is please?
things032.jpg

Cute calf :heart:
Im thinking maybe a jersey x brown swiss on the cow.
Deffinetly see some jersey going on there. Where did you get her from?

Around here we call them "good Mothers"! She is doing a great job no matter what here lines. Just look at that baby :)

Funky-4-her,
Yes i agree,she has the build of a jersey,very similiar to a couple i have here but a bit course in the head.
TNfamilyfarm, Thanks :D She is a beautiful heifer,couldn't get many pics as it was raining and she was in the shelter but it always amazes me how calves look so good when born and foals look like scrawny aliens lol. I breed horses and the difference is amazing :D Mum is doing a wonderful job

grubbie, how much heavier would you like a dairy cow to be less than 24 hours prior to calving???
Would like to see pics of your dairy cows feeding multiple calves as mine are?

That is one gorgeous calf.

I also see what grubbie means. It's not the side of the cow you need to look at - it's those hip bones...
Hah - I just googled brangus to see what it looked like. Evidently the calf inherited its father's handsome figure.
She could be a Jersey-cross - I say she's got the Brown Swiss type udder and a bit of the head but the rest of her, never seen anything quite like and I've seen a good few Holstein-Friesian/Jersey/Brown Swiss crosses. I also found the Luing bull over BS cross tended to throw a red calf, while the straight Holstein threw a black one.

At risk of over-spamming my blog...
http://cowcalfandvet.blogspot.com/2007/ ... oring.html
Look at the bottom photo, numbered 5. That's my cow 57, and she's in what I call 'calving order' - for a dairy cow. Plenty of people calve lighter than that, but it's hard on the cow because she'll inevitably lose weight in early lactation - start light, and two months later she could be looking like the number 4 cow. There's no need to have them as fat as the two fat ones (though some of these beef/overseas dairymen might disagree).
And this one: http://cowcalfandvet.blogspot.com/2006/10/dry-cow.html
On the high side of calving order :D You won't often see them as good as that, and she's bordering on 'too fat'. Ignore the condition scoring numbers unless you use the same scale - apparently NZ condition scoring is a unique snowflake.

Do you know how old the cow is? She's what I'd call a 'milk bar' - perfect for calves, but her udder's too low to be good for dairying.

Thanks for that regolith,interesting pics :D
Hmm i am not sure what she is,but a good milker all the same. Brangus was black, i have this cows sister who has a calf on her by the same bull,the 2 calves are identical,except Jessie is prettier than her brother hehe!! They are both red,cows are identical to look at and same bull,interesting that 2 dark cows and black bull throw a red calf!!

I bought the cow on Monday and she calved on Wednesday,so i only had her 2 days :D
She is 6,yep great udder for calves,hence why i got her :D

Apologies, certainly didn't mean any offense. Looks like she is doin her job very well. Just the hip bones are very prominent, I understand she is a dairy cow.

Missy":289xdpsu said:
Thanks for that regolith,interesting pics :D
Hmm i am not sure what she is,but a good milker all the same. Brangus was black, i have this cows sister who has a calf on her by the same bull,the 2 calves are identical,except Jessie is prettier than her brother hehe!! They are both red,cows are identical to look at and same bull,interesting that 2 dark cows and black bull throw a red calf!!

I bought the cow on Monday and she calved on Wednesday,so i only had her 2 days :D
She is 6,yep great udder for calves,hence why i got her :D

Not interesting at all. Just means the dams and the sire are not homozygous black but are instead hetero black.

grubbie":2k6t7zot said:
Apologies, certainly didn't mean any offense. Looks like she is doin her job very well. Just the hip bones are very prominent, I understand she is a dairy cow.

Aint never seen a diary cow or dairy by beef cross that did not have prominent hip bones. If that was a straight beef cow I would be worried but since it is more than likely a beef and dairy cross or just plain dairy animal then prominent hip bones are understandable. Looks like maybe a jersey angus cross to me.

That's the way all milking dairy breeds or crosses look! Have you ever been to a county fair or beef expo? Even those "fed up " ones look like that.

NIce looking pair... she'll make a great momma cow.

TheBullLady":1588u7dt said:
That's the way all milking dairy breeds or crosses look! Have you ever been to a county fair or beef expo? Even those "fed up " ones look like that.

NIce looking pair... she'll make a great momma cow.

I agree and she should give ample milk.

looks like a canadienne cow french jersey black jersey ,should have black hide.. calf should be tan ..change to black with age

:D Hi Black Jersey Not sure if we have that breed of cow in Australia, interesting though she (and her sister) look very similiar to that breed

Latest posts