new calf - pic

Help Support CattleToday:

chippie

Reaction score
Our son's Jersey heifer, Cookie, had her calf.
She had a bull. Bummer.
I am so disappointed. She is a grade Jersey and my husband bred her to a Milking Shorthorn. I had seen pictures of the cross and it makes a beautiful cow.

Anyhow, DD Jamie says that he wants to be a chair when he grows up and that he will be delicious! :D

oi62br.jpg

Meanwhile, Cookie is not a happy camper. She no longer has her calf (another cow is raising it) and is learning to be milked.

They like being milked alot better if you leave the calf on them. Pen the calf and let it nurse night and morning when you milk. You take and let the calf have half.

My husband usually milks some for us then lets the calf nurse the cow out. We keep the calf in a pen and let it nurse twice daily.
However Cookie is going to have another job besides being a family cow. This is also her first calf. She is doing better. She doesn't try to kick the machine off now. An axe handle made her decide that it wasn't so bad ;)

my son bought a 5 yr old jersey at the sale barn last fall in the 2nd stage and she had a little heifer calf that is really a nice calf, thick and really full of it. we have never had a jersey on the place but this little heifer runs like the wind, she's always running. the momma does not have a very big bag and the calf seems to nurse alot but she is growing like crazy so i guess the milk is really rich.