New calf on the ground only had momma 10 days

Help Support CattleToday:

Cute little thing, welcome to the world little buddy. What breed is that calf?

From what I can see in the pictures the Longhorn cow has a nice tight udder. I assume that's typical of the breed? Not many longhorns around here.

BFE said:
From what I can see in the pictures the Longhorn cow has a nice tight udder. I assume that's typical of the breed? Not many longhorns around here.

Few around here raise them I like them they are gentle to be around and pretty to look at

PB longhorn cow with 1/2 Hereford calf at 2.5 months old. Cow is big around 1800 was impressed only Hereford calf I've had with no white face

I have a longhorn first calf heifer. She has a small tight bag but the calf is as round as you could want so she has to be producing plenty of milk for him. She was bred angus, easy calving bull, along with all the other heifers in this group and just popped it out. My son may not like them, and the calves don't sell good here, but I just wanted to keep her. Bought her momma with her by the side at about 3 weeks old. Cow had been dehorned. She raised this heifer, then bred back and had a dead calf and had few teeth so I just shipped her. Kept the heifer. She is not mean with her horns to any other cattle.... will shake her head if someone gets in her space but never goes after them; and will chase a stray dog out of the field in a heartbeat. She comes around the barn and I will give her a little grain if she is by herself. She was naturally smaller than everyone else, but is a good mother. She is my "lawn ornament" not colored, almost all white.... but a nice set of even horns that are quite big for her small size.

Well ended up loosing the calf At 12 days old not sure what the deal was found him laid up in woods dead. I would assume at 12 days old it wasn't a lack of milk the cows has a nice bag and I seen him nursing. The cows with a bull so when o preg check everything I'll make the decision if she gets one go with my bull to raise a calf if she's heading to the butcher for hamburger or if she's heading to the barn to try and recover my money.

MurraysMutts said:
That stinks!
Sorry to hear that.

May or may not be related. But I've seen calves nurse and nurse, only to find out mamas udder was plugged up. 12 days is quite a few tho..

More abd more I think about it a big pile of hamburger meat is starting to sound good

Latest posts