new calf is sick

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I ahave a week old calf that is getting really sick.. It's joints are swelling up and she is not getting around well at all. I know she was @ 24 hours before she got her first milk but she did at least get it. Can I give her bicyclinn 2.4 antibotic ? maybe it's an infection? please help.
Thanks,
Bill Cheatham

do a search for "navel ill" and "joint ill" and see if that sounds like your problem.

This is kind of odd, but have been having great success treating swollen navels and joint ill in the calves this spring with Nuflor. A person that works with a vet ascribed this to the fact that it is designed to work on soft tissue infections. All I know is that it's been three times as effective as Biomycin or Penn LA. Strange but true.

Good luck with your calf.

This is kind of odd, but have been having great success treating swollen navels and joint ill in the calves this spring with Nuflor. A person that works with a vet ascribed this to the fact that it is designed to work on soft tissue infections. All I know is that it's been three times as effective as Biomycin or Penn LA. Strange but true.

Good luck with your calf.

Cattle Annie,

Silly, unconnected question, but what breed of cattle is the little guy or gal in your avatar? My husband asked me last night and I have no idea. Thx.

She's just a Sim cross heifer. Was doing quite well until her mother suffered a compound fracture on her hind leg below the hock. Bulls must have got fighting when they were trying to cover her. So the cow is at the butcher's getting ground into burger, and the calf is making do on her own steam, as I don't currently have a cow to graft her on. Darn shame as her mother was a heck of a producer who could really pack the pounds onto her calves. C'est la vie (that's life).

Take care.