New calf from bought bred cow

Help Support CattleToday:

Thanks for the comments. We have around 50 acres which has been in the family since the early 40's. Half of that is wooded and swampy. My photographer (wife) hardly ever gets pictures where you can see the land, mostly of the youngin and close up of the cows. Here are a few that you can see some of the place.

Heifer we are retaining. In the background, plowed ground for winter rye and summer millet.
DSC_0071.jpg

Looking behind the old barn. Notice the funny looking cow in the background. Didn't see him until we looked at the pictures.
DSC_0066.jpg

Some of the herd out in one of the pastures.
DSC_0004.jpg

Nice looking herd. But what's thet green stuff growing out of the ground everywhere?

Steve,

I am real fortunate to have the moisture to keep everything green. Ive seen that field eat a few 140hp JD's plowing while my neighbors would choke on dust plowing their fields. Just a real boggy place. How my grandfather ever got it cleared and farmed it for 50 years is beyond me. We do hit a dry spell around here every now and again, but I am not as bad off as the neighbors when it hits.

Layne,

You have a beautiful place. Your grandpa did well and evidently the apple don't fall far from the tree. Where I live in central Texas the water table is 140 feet down so a "boggy place" aint boggy for long. Out of curiosity, how often and for how long is your pasture too boggy, if ever.

I would say there is a few (2-3) times a year that if you dont NEED to drive in the pasture you dont do it. It is rarely too boggy for the cows. You learn what spots to avoid depending on how wet things are. There are a few "pockets" that stay wet unless it is real real dry everywhere else.

The only heifer so far out of this bunch
DSC_0125_crop.jpg

All 3 so far
DSC_0116.jpg

They all suck anything in site
DSC_01122.jpg

Oldest steer calf
DSC_01042.jpg

Youngest steer calf
DSC_0136_crop.jpg

Hook,

I am still tickled with these cows and how the calves are coming along. Still have the 4th and final one to calve. She is getting close, bag starting to fill up and she is starting to walk a little sideways...lol

We're culling one of the 4 cows because she doesnt have enough milk from the get go. They all are holding condition well and except for the poor milk they alL did well. I think the char bull he used is weak as far as muscling. All the calves but 1 and the cull are being sent to webster in march. The rest are being bred to a good productive black as we speak

The latest one came out looking a little different than the others :eek:
DSC_0147-1.jpg

The steer calf from last time is filling out pretty good. (#10)
DSC_0149-1.jpg

Latest posts