New Calf far from Momma

Help Support CattleToday:

nathan arizona

Reaction score
This guy was born yesterday. Nursed fine, up and walking quickly and momma (her 2nd calf) walked him a good 1/4 mile. Today my wife called and said he was in the woods and his Mom was all the way up at our front gate mooing and acting kind of agitated. Should I be worried? Pen them together when I get home?

I'm not an expert and not qualified to give advice. But my experience has been that whenever I've intervened in a situation like this I end up making things worse.

Andrew

If you walk back to the calf see if she'll follow you. You can push it back thru the fence to her. But she'll likely continue to hide it for a few days.

Just make sure she does in fact go back for it daily.

I have cows that hide their calves....Once i see that they do this i mark it down in my records...Some of my cows will not bring their calves out for days..Makes it very hard to move my herds when i rotate. I have to leave the gates open for a day just so these cows can get their calves they've hidden.
When i see a calf tucked away, i usually just note where it is. Go up to them and sometimes they bolt and run blindly..Had it happen on accident a few times and no point in chasing them. I just let them go and figure the cow will call them back(could be a problem if your property is not very big). Sometimes, i've watched, the calf will go back where its mother told it to stay. Some are very obedient..
I've taken calves in to doctor for a few days. When i do this, i put the calf back exactly where i found it. If you take it to the cow, sometimes they wont recognize it...it cant be theirs, they have their calf hidden.
Watch and see if your cow goes back to it. I'm guessing she will....

Thanks for all the advice. By the time I got home they were back together. She's sure working the little guy though. He's been in 3 of the four corners of my pasture. Mamma believes in toughening them up quickly, I guess.

JMJ - I think so too, but I'm not experienced enough to tell. His momma's a scrawny thing, so that may make him look bigger than he is, but so far, I've really liked the 2 calves she's had. She must be full of recessive genes, neither one has resembled her much. I bought her and the first one as a pair and she was bred at the time with this one, so I have no idea of the bull responsible.

Latest posts