New Calf Arrival

Help Support CattleToday:

ERodrig

Reaction score
I'm not exactly brand new here, but I am definitely still in the learning stages. Here's my situation. I have a cow that, according to the vet, is going to give birth in the next week or two. With all the rain that we've gotten, and that is still expected, here in central Texas, I haven't been able to build any type of shelter for her and her calf. I have plenty of trees on my property and some areas are pretty dry despite the rain. My question is if you think she might have problems calving in the rain? I know these animals have been around a lot longer than any of us and have been doing fine without us, it's just that this would be the first calf born on my ranch and I want to do everything I can to ensure both survive. Any suggestions or opinions would be greatly apprciated.

By the way, I wasn't prepared because the vet originally told me she was open and I thought I had more time.

When the calf comes, sit back and watch. The cow with bathe the calf and clean it up. The calf will get on its feet, falling down over and over for about 30 minutes to an hour. Once it is on its feet, it should nurse. Ensure it nurses within about 4 hours. As warm as it is, there is no problem with rain and wet ground.

If the cow drops that calf near a body of water or deep puddles, you may need to be concerned with drowning. I have had to go fetch one out of the stock tank before. Each time he got on his feet and stumbled early on, he staggered closer and closer to the stock tank. Once he got in deep, I went in after him and it was in the chilly late fall too.

I have a "shelter" but the cows never use it for birthing. They prefer the brush. When a cow is solo, hanging in the brush all by itself, you know what's about to happen. My guess is if you had a shelter, your cows are not going to use it unless you pen them in there and that's not a good thing either as it makes them skittish, in my opinion.

Once that calf gets a belly full of milk, you are on your way. Watch the cows teats to ensure everything remains in working order. 99% of the time everything takes care of itself.

Oh my let the cow do her job she is actually smarter than you here. I have never owned a cow that didn't calf in the weather.
The only shelter here is a pine sappling thicket. Or you can pen her up in a small area so she is easy pickins for every Mexican Vulture in two counties.

ERodrig":9x0t75j1 said:
I'm not exactly brand new here, but I am definitely still in the learning stages. Here's my situation. I have a cow that, according to the vet, is going to give birth in the next week or two. With all the rain that we've gotten, and that is still expected, here in central Texas, I haven't been able to build any type of shelter for her and her calf. I have plenty of trees on my property and some areas are pretty dry despite the rain. My question is if you think she might have problems calving in the rain? I know these animals have been around a lot longer than any of us and have been doing fine without us, it's just that this would be the first calf born on my ranch and I want to do everything I can to ensure both survive. Any suggestions or opinions would be greatly apprciated.
By the way, I wasn't prepared because the vet originally told me she was open and I thought I had more time.

ERodrig, They'll be fine. Just enjoy the experience. If she has trouble, my opinion is that it won't be for lack of shelter.

Rain, sleet and snow - I let them do it on their own. Works for us in this part of the world.

Just let her do what she is designed to do.

Bez>

Caustic Burno":2gyczz77 said:
Oh my let the cow do her job she is actually smarter than you here. I have never owned a cow that didn't calf in the weather.
The only shelter here is a pine sappling thicket. Or you can pen her up in a small area so she is easy pickins for every Mexican Vulture in two counties.
Well I agree with CB. You did say cow and not heifer. So she knows what she's doing. I've had 2 calves borned in all of this rain and it didn't hurt them. I just stayed around to make sure the calves got up. I did put iodine on their navels. I figured it couldn't hurt anything.
Good luck

we just had 2 new ones and mom knows what to do I searched 45 acres on 4 wheeler looking for the new bull saw that morning going to work. She had hid them so well could not find them in 3 trys that day. Next day I am all over again and we have this little low lying area and it has grass that stans to your anckle. I was about 3 ft away and saw a ear flap and one yesterday hiddden.

They take care of the calves better than some mothers do of their own children.
So moral is don't run out freaking out if you can not ee them right away she prob got em stashed.

Last 4 calves we have had we knew they were on the property but didn't find em few days but they were running with the pack within 3 days max

mind235":2bthi1uq said:
we just had 2 new ones and mom knows what to do I searched 45 acres on 4 wheeler looking for the new bull saw that morning going to work. She had hid them so well could not find them in 3 trys that day. Next day I am all over again and we have this little low lying area and it has grass that stans to your anckle. I was about 3 ft away and saw a ear flap and one yesterday hiddden.

They take care of the calves better than some mothers do of their own children.
So moral is don't run out freaking out if you can not ee them right away she prob got em stashed.

Last 4 calves we have had we knew they were on the property but didn't find em few days but they were running with the pack within 3 days max

I'm glad everything is ok. One trick we used to use was take our dog along when we were searching for calves. Some cows would take one look at the dog and go to the calf. Some cows just ignored her, though.

Now we AI everything so we know when the calf is due. We put them in a small 5 acre paddock near the house. We usually see them born and get their weights almost immediately. But I know that with commercial cows that's not always possible.

I use to be a lot more paranoid until this last winter, we had a lot calving Dec-Feb. Usually we calve later in March-April.

But after watching a few of them calve in cold, snow with freezing rain. I realized only one having problems or getting sick was me. The only bedding they had was some old hay spots and they did not use them. They all had them right out in open in the freezing rain. And a few of them were heifers.

Latest posts