new calf and cool weather ?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Its been in the mid 40s here and raining all day. I went to check on the pair, and the calf didn't get up and was shaking. I picked him up took him to the barn with mom following and towelled him off. Got them shut up in there until the rain stops but everything is soaked in the fields with standing water in anout half of it with all the rain lately. Wind is picking up. Questioon is should I leave them penned or turn them out once the rain stops? Supposed to be in the 30s tonight, windy. He has been eating

hooknline":1e2ja4st said:
Its been in the mid 40s here and raining all day. I went to check on the pair, and the calf didn't get up and was shaking. I picked him up took him to the barn with mom following and towelled him off. Got them shut up in there until the rain stops but everything is soaked in the fields with standing water in anout half of it with all the rain lately. Wind is picking up. Questioon is should I leave them penned or turn them out once the rain stops? Supposed to be in the 30s tonight, windy. He has been eating
A lot will have to do with the breed. If it has ear then leave it protected. It certainly won't hurt it. Especially since it is already penned. I'm going thru my second calf problem now because of cold rain.

That was my thought also. I know this is florida, but this winter has been crazy wet and cold. Thse cows down here atrent used to it any more than we are. Even the momma was shivering.
Thanks

Latest posts