New bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Wareagle

Reaction score
I just purchased a hereford bull to breed to 3 angus cows and 10 angus cross heifers. I do not know a lot about the hereford bloodlines, so I would like to get some opinions about the bull I purchased. Its reg name is HPH Long Haul 337 602. I wanted a bull that would be good to breed to heifers but still had good WW numbers.

Yeah picture would really help. I like his EPD's, looks really strong maternally. A little growthier than I would like for replacments though. I could be wrong (cause I know nothing about World Class and just ASSuMEing polled genetics) frame wise he would seem to be a little bigger. Dont know what your Cow's are like either. As for heifer's, he has a good CE and an okay BW, although his ratio on BW was 108. Do you know his acctual BW; or any of his acctual numbers? His WW should do you good. What cross are your Heifers and do you know the genetics of them?

I would think a World Class son out of a Legend daughter would make a pretty good heifer bull, but the bull's dam has had two above average birthweight calves. You'll probably be OK, but no guarantees.

I do not have a picture. I will try to take one and post it if I can find the time(2 daughters playing in their end of the season softball tournament and my son playing in his end of the year T ball tournament this week). The heifers are from a herd that has been in my family for 50 years. My father never bought replacement heifers, he always raised his own. Hereford and angus bulls in the 60s and 70s, Beefmaster bulls in the 80s, Charolais in the 90s and Angus since 2000. The heifers are from a GAR Expectation Angus bull.

Lots of good cattle in the pedigree. Felton's cattle are good cattle. Never used a bull from them I didn't like or didn't work. I am still kicking myself on passing up a couple of real good World Class heifer calves a couple years ago for 800 a piece.

Based on his EPD's and World Class' EPD's, I would say he is more than safe to use on heifers. A picture sure would be nice. :cowboy:

Latest posts