New Bull!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

watso059

Reaction score
Hey all! This is our new bull Laramie Jr! He is around 14 months old! He is a registered limo! I can not wait to see the calves out of him!!! (Too bad we have to wait 9 months huh...lol :cry: ). Well, I'd like to hear what you all think about him. If you want his epd's and ped. ill post the link too!! The top image is of last weekend. The bottom is from a few months ago I think!

Bull2.jpg

148.jpg

http://www.nalf.org/find_a_pedigree/ani ... prefix=NPM

Also, his actual BW was 80, WW was 605. The man we bought him from said he prob weighs b/t 1300-1400 now. He is double black (with high chance for homo black...we bought him b/f he was tested), polled, purebred

Bull has some good breeding, but to me, he looks a might wormy and he looks like he needs more groceries. May just be the picture

houstoncutter":2v1bzkio said:
Bull has some good breeding, but to me, he looks a might wormy and he looks like he needs more groceries. May just be the picture

Ya...I think he may have lost some weight... The farm we got him from used a free-choice grain of some type. He has been on the place for nearly 3 weeks. I'm glad he hasn't fallen apart completely yet (the seller said he shouldn't though!!). We have only been feeding once a week to help him acclimate a little bit, so he has gone down some...but, I think he will do ok once he gets used to the different conditions and especially when the pasture starts putting out some green!!! Considering, we are quite happy with his acclimation. Also, he doesn't have a lot to service right now since we are still waiting on the majority of the herd to drop, so he will have some time to get used to it and grow some (hopefully!).

He is more slick than the top pic...my camera is not that great. He prob. doesnt look as slick as the bottom pic because of the weight loss, but he is close. This is one of the better pics, some were quite fuzzy-looking!!! Since I have uploaded them to the computer and seen some of them, I'll have to take some more pics (I may borrow a friends camera). Hopefully they will come out a little better! Sorry about the lower quality of the pic!!!

I am glad that I don't live at your place. Keep in mind even though he doesn't need the ratio that he received at the other place. He is young and certainly still growing so you are going to suck all the extra condition off of his back and then ask him to breed cows after you have already worn him down?

You should visit with the Feed Rep a little and I would bet that you should feed him some grain each day and give him full feed of grassy hay. You need to keep his rumen full, you don't ask a teenager to work his butt off without any extra food, they will eat you out of house and home. Treating this bull right is part of the development of this bull.

Do you realize shocks to his body like this causes his body to be alittle out of a whack. Semen quality might vary for a time after.
Next year at this time you look at this bulls feet and study the lines / grains on his hooves. These lines will run parallel you will notice some lines are more pronounced. Looking at his hooves is like a life history on so many things.

a bull thats out of condition head will look bigger in poportion to the body the head aint gonna shrink much. for a limm/angus he looks about right. but i would put him in a seprerate paddock and feed him seperate from the cows for now.

Can't tell much from the top pic. Bull has lost a lot of condition. The second pic, he looks great.

I agree with others. You need to change your feeding program for this bull if you expect him to do some things for you.

Good luck

ALACOWMAN":1y7uy67q said:
a bull thats out of condition head will look bigger in poportion to the body the head aint gonna shrink much. for a limm/angus he looks about right. but i would put him in a seprerate paddock and feed him seperate from the cows for now.

Ya, that is what I am thinking. I had an earlier post (Acclimation) about getting him used to our conditions. He should not have to do very much right now though. We do not have our cows on a cycle since we just got in the biz this past year. So, he should only have to worry about 1 or 2 at a time tops...we hope. I talked to my dad today and was already thinking that we may need to up his feed some. I want him to have what he needs! He has free-choice of high-quality hay and if we up his feed, maybe that will help him out some. Like I said, he has lost some, but hopefully, we can curve that loss!

We are thinking about separating him out if we can and helping him along. Thanks for the posts thus far. Any tips/advice is much appreciated! This is the first bull that we are trying out and I want to do a good job with him, but I do not know much about it!! :p

well worming him would be first on the list. you can feed all you want but he is not gonna convert it to flesh if he is wormy.i like spring calving so if he were mine he would be a little lonesome for awile until mid may this would also give him a little growing space.but thats my preferance

Your bull has got the frame, and good breeding just get him wormed and get him back on a good ration, something high in roughage that has sufficent protein. Check with the breder that you bought him from and see what he had him on. Get him ready now, because as a yearing bull , he is gonna run himself silly trying to service his ladies

starbaby":3w55mbpv said:
how can yal tell he is wormy from a picturre
well the first picture his rough hair coat,thin but the breeder probably was feeding him pretty strong. now he is melting like a snow ball, any time i dont have enough info about a animal i purchace i work um before i turn them out reguardless. and sometime quarantine them for a week or so.they may not look sick when you purchace them but it can show up a few days later right after they have infected the herd talk about a nightmare.

I have already said that the top picture is of a lower quality than the bottom. He has probably only lost a little weight. We fed him twice a week this past week and I have talked to the seller. He said that he would probably need a little help, but hed be able to service what we have easily. I am happy with his acclimation to our place thus far. I'll try to get a better quality picture if I can, but he isn't "melting away!" LOL :cboy:

watso059":3o8i97mp said:
I have already said that the top picture is of a lower quality than the bottom. He has probably only lost a little weight. We fed him twice a week this past week and I have talked to the seller. He said that he would probably need a little help, but hed be able to service what we have easily. I am happy with his acclimation to our place thus far. I'll try to get a better quality picture if I can, but he isn't "melting away!" LOL :cboy:

If I was riding through someones herd - or my own and saw an animal looking like that it would make me stop in my tracks.

This guy is not happy. I believe he is soon to be in distress. ANd here is why.

Head is down. Ears are low and back. Coat is rough and choppy. Coat looks thin in places. No lustre. Chin is tucked in and eyes are not showing lots of life. No I do not think he is sleepy. Shoulders looked hunched and back is swayed as compared to his lower pic. Hip bones are sticking out and his tail is not hanging loose - it is tucked in.

I figure there is a problem from where you bought him - he is used to living the easy life - free choice grain. This guy will never hold up to a field job.

You need to take him out of the pen with the cows, isolate him, find out what his vacc's are - and seeif they are up to date, if not get them there. He needs a vitamin shot and he needs some hi qual hay, mineral and some grain - no over load please he has been off it for some time now.

This animal has lost about 200 - 300 plus pounds in my eye since he came to your place -either that or the lower pic is not really him. This animal looks ill and I would suggest he is quite likely listless as he moves about the herd.

If you want to keep this guy it is time to move - or it is time to take him back. Either way you are not going to have good luck with this guy unless he gets better treatment.

Over to you,

Bez!

well the first picture his rough hair coat,thin but the breeder probably was feeding him pretty strong. now he is melting like a snow ball,

If he was getting torqued with feed he would have no hair or would be pretty slick.

I would make sure you give him all the vitamins and minerals he can get, that would have to do with haircoat and or lack or proper feed.

Put mineral/supplement in with his grain plus give it to him free choice.

If you want him to be your herd sire, you need to feed him! Now is his growing time and he needs all he wants to eat.

He is obviously in distress from the differences in the two pics. Not sure if you shouldn't have a vet look at him.

watso059":bdpgixsp said:
houstoncutter":bdpgixsp said:

Ya...I think he may have lost some weight... The farm we got him from used a free-choice grain of some type. He has been on the place for nearly 3 weeks. I'm glad he hasn't fallen apart completely yet (the seller said he shouldn't though!!). We have only been feeding once a week to help him acclimate a little bit, so he has gone down some...but, I think he will do ok once he gets used to the different conditions and especially when the pasture starts putting out some green!!! Considering, we are quite happy with his acclimation. Also, he doesn't have a lot to service right now since we are still waiting on the majority of the herd to drop, so he will have some time to get used to it and grow some (hopefully!).

He is more slick than the top pic...my camera is not that great. He prob. doesnt look as slick as the bottom pic because of the weight loss, but he is close. This is one of the better pics, some were quite fuzzy-looking!!! Since I have uploaded them to the computer and seen some of them, I'll have to take some more pics (I may borrow a friends camera). Hopefully they will come out a little better! Sorry about the lower quality of the pic!!!

A yearling bull should be fed to bring out its full potential. We feed ours on pasture about 1 - 1.5 % of their body weight per day with grain and good hay. If you start using him at 18mos to 2 years he is going to need all the finish you can put on him.

SEC":gms3d8oa said:
well the first picture his rough hair coat,thin but the breeder probably was feeding him pretty strong. now he is melting like a snow ball,

• If he was getting torqued with feed he would have no hair or
would be pretty slick.

I would make sure you give him all the vitamins and minerals he can get, that would have to do with haircoat and or lack or proper feed.

Put mineral/supplement in with his grain plus give it to him free choice.
i understand thats why i said that the former breeder{previous owner} was feeding him pretty strong and thats why he is melting like a snow ball . never fed one so much that all their hair came out .

AlabamaQualityBeef":1mubl9wz said:
If you want him to be your herd sire, you need to feed him! Now is his growing time and he needs all he wants to eat.

He is obviously in distress from the differences in the two pics. Not sure if you shouldn't have a vet look at him.

I had the vet look at him right before this pic was taken!! The reason he may look distressed is because I was working them (had a few probs the vet had to handle) and he was put in the pen with a few others and he was not happy about it!!! LOL Every time I wanted a pic, he would either run or hide behind the other cows!! lol I think he is camera shy... :oops: Also, the pic is not good...don't know how many times I have to say that...I will try to get another one...If his coat actually looked that fuzzy, I'd be really worried! Out of 29 pics...only a few looked worthy of being posted, and some were so blurry that you could hardly tell that it was of a cow!!... Also, we are feeding him 2-3 times a week (depends on weather, etc.), he gets free-choice high-quality hay and minerals (i think i will mix a few with his grain if you think that will help!). He also is getting free-choice mineral now too!

Latest posts