New Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
For those that care, today was the day to pick up the new bull. Just got back with him, and it was hard for me to take any decent pics of him, because he was so busy smelling the cows. Well, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

Feed test avg daily gain 2.75 lbs/day. , scrotum 37.5 cm 97% motility.

Here are a couple of pics:
newbull1.jpg

newbull2.jpg

VanC":q3bnk9sd said:
Cypress: forgive me if this is a dumb question, but if he is a red angus then why is he black?

i dont know about the RAAA, but i would imagine he has a red gene along with his black gene.

Aero":2wcp0j49 said:
VanC":2wcp0j49 said:
Cypress: forgive me if this is a dumb question, but if he is a red angus then why is he black?

i dont know about the RAAA, but i would imagine he has a red gene along with his black gene.

He's an angus plus, which is normally a brangus crossed with an angus, except in his case, he is a second generation angus plus (both of his parents were angus plus'). He doesn't carry the red gene, as a matter of fact, some people call angus pluses "double black's". If you look at his pedigree, after his parents basically half of his ancestors are angus and half are brangus. This is the second plus that I've bought; I like them better than a straight angus or brangus because they look for the most part like an angus, but still have a small percentage of brahman to help with our climate down here. They will knock the ears off when crossed with a brangus or other breed with high % brahman (like a tiger), and throw black as well.

I'm still not sure why the Red angus ass. registeres them, you got me there???

a 2006 angus plus heifer:
12calf.jpg
newheifercalf.jpg

This is the #23 bull in the previous string that I posted "Cypress wants opinions on bulls again". Anyway, I think he likes his new home - where he was before he was with a large group of bulls - yesterday I let him out of the trailer, and he slowly walked out and then instead of just breaking into a run (which some new cows/bulls do) he walked to each cow smelling them. A few of the cows are close in heat. My guess was that he was saying "Hey this might not be a bad place!" Tomorrow he'll go into the ryegrass with all the cows, so maybe he'll stay happy ;-)

The American Angus Assn rejected a request from the Angus Plus group to maintain their registry and EPDs. So they turned to the Red Angus Assn and they agreed to maintain the Angus Plus records. I assume Angus Plus comes in both colors, red and black?

Frankie":ejjlggpo said:
The American Angus Assn rejected a request from the Angus Plus group to maintain their registry and EPDs. So they turned to the Red Angus Assn and they agreed to maintain the Angus Plus records. I assume Angus Plus comes in both colors, red and black?

Perhaps, but I've only seen black. Since there are red brangus and red angus this could be a possibility. Some people around here call angus pluses "double black". I just like the looks, and they don't get docked for ear at all, and they knock ear off of calves like you wouldn't believe, while still keeping the angus % very high, thus ensuring, from at least my standpoint, a good selling price for the calves. About the only thing they wont throw black on is a chraolais cow, or any other breed that has the diluter gene.

I realize you need some brahman in them for your climate cypress, but he doesn't have enough depth or muscle for my liking. Hope his feet are good, can't tell from a pic. Hope he works good for ya.

VanC":23scbozd said:

Thanks Cypress and Frankie for the info. Couldn't quite figure that one out but is very clear now.

Good luck with the New Bull, Hope he brings a lot of good calves your way. I recall that hatchbutt is at your fathers place. But don't you have a second Angus Plus Bull<2 year olds> and is he still in the picture?

whatabull":2svgxfbq said:
Good luck with the New Bull, Hope he brings a lot of good calves your way. I recall that hatchbutt is at your fathers place. But don't you have a second Angus Plus Bull<2 year olds> and is he still in the picture?

Whatabull, Good memory!
Yeah, I have a second angus plus, but he's only 10 months old now. He's at the project stage. Have him seperated off, and will make a decision sometime in the next month.Not sure if he'll turn out; looks like he won't make the grade :(

cypressfarms":gulyxtt0 said:
whatabull":gulyxtt0 said:

Whatabull, Good memory!
Yeah, I have a second angus plus, but he's only 10 months old now. He's at the project stage. Have him seperated off, and will make a decision sometime in the next month.Not sure if he'll turn out; looks like he won't make the grade :(

Don't be too hasty about that. After seeing him eye to eye, he may come around and work out great for you.

cypressfarms":118x4rt8 said:
whatabull":118x4rt8 said:

Whatabull, Good memory!

That is too bad I am sorry to hear it, But I hope He turns it on, and surprises you. I like the looks of Angus Plus, should work well in the south.

rattler":zmq86hhr said:
Hey Cypress like the look's of your new Bull .Good luck
rattler

Had the pleasure to meet cypress and family yesterday. His new bull aint wasting no time. Saw him cover one while we were out looking his herd over. He's a keeper.

cypressfarms,

That is a good looking bull you got there. I like the way he is built. I was looking at some heifer's out of a full blooded brangus bull crossed with angus heifer's and it put a little ear on them. You say that a angus plus does not put much ear on their offspring when they are crossed with a angus cow ?

Latest posts