New bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Petercoates87

Reaction score
20221204_111057.jpg
Hey folks. Just picked up this guy for my girls for next year. Supposed to be pure breed simmental. He has small horn nubs is that a thing for them?? Other than the horns I'm pretty happy. He should serve my mixed breed herd pretty good

if they're just nubs they're probably scurs.. I can't remember the genetics behind scurs, Heterozygous polled and heterozygous for scur gene in bulls but in heifers they need both copies of the scur gene? something like that
Hope he does well for you

Scurs are a sex linked gene. Bulls only have to inherit 1 gene and they will show scurs. Females need 2 genes to have them.
So about 50% of your male calves will have scurs. None of your heifers will, but they may carry 1 gene and can pass it to their offspring.
I have never seen a white one either. Is he grey/silver?
What is his pedigree?

Adding to what Jeanne and Nesi have said... for all practical purposes, any animal which exhibits scurs is heterozygous polled, so if any cows in your herd carry the horn gene, he may sire horned calves - and a smooth-polled cow that carries one copy of the scur gene may produce a polled/scurred heifer from mating to this bull.

Also, I'm seeing reports of a 'Type 2' scur gene that's been characterized in French Charolais... separate/different from the classical scur gene.

I'll be darned, I've never seen a white Simmental. And those look like scurs. How old is he?
Looks like he has white on his lower leges, a little in his flank, and his head. The rest looks like what I would call light yellow. I'm sure there is a more official term. Used to see it a lot more in the old days.

Looks like he has white on his lower leges, a little in his flank, and his head. The rest looks like what I would call light yellow. I'm sure there is a more official term. Used to see it a lot more in the old days.
Yep. Late 60's, ear; ly 70's is when we first started seeing Charolais and Simmental cattle here. After the first few years, when half the Hereford and Angus cows were killed off trying to calf these pallet-headed bulls calves, people started crossing Charolais and Simm. This crosses were winning all the commercial classes in the county fairs. They looked like giant, pale yellow Herefords. Excellent cows.. calf raisers extraordinaire .

Thanks! I thought Simmental didn't have horns. So when I saw this guy I wondered if he was pure breed. To be honest I'm breeding him to my mixed breed herd. So pure breed don't matter to me. I was more after that butt and shoulders lol. I know alot of sale barns get better prices for different cattle but for me I sell it from my place, so the color of its skin don't matter as long as it grows well and don't try to kill me lol.

Thanks! I thought Simmental didn't have horns. So when I saw this guy I wondered if he was pure breed. To be honest I'm breeding him to my mixed breed herd. So pure breed don't matter to me. I was more after that butt and shoulders lol. I know alot of sale barns get better prices for different cattle but for me I sell it from my place, so the color of its skin don't matter as long as it grows well and don't try to kill me lol.
How old is he? What does he weigh?

Latest posts