New bull???

Help Support CattleToday:

I have seen several so called Black Herefords. Have yet to see a top quality Black Hereford. Much of the issue is the quality of the cattle used too create the original cattle. There are some breeders who in the last few years who have used top quality Hereford bloodlines in an effort to upgrade them. They still have a long ways too go. In my experience the quality of the other black hided stabilized crosses are far superior in quality. Anyone who claims the current BH's are top quality have a different opinion of what a quality animal is.

CAB is a 'PROGRAM" run by AAA. Certified Angus Beef Program. It never has "claimed" to be Angus cattle. All it requires for the live animal is to be 51% black hided and of beef breed.
My PB Simmentals have sold as CAB. My black Simmentals have the black gene - but you would be hard pressed to come up with a significant amount of Angus % in their genes. Black gene is dominant. I had black Simmental 1/2 bloods back in 1971, and still have a cow family from that original group.

CAB is a 'PROGRAM" run by AAA. Certified Angus Beef Program. It never has "claimed" to be Angus cattle. All it requires for the live animal is to be 51% black hided and of beef breed.
My PB Simmentals have sold as CAB. My black Simmentals have the black gene - but you would be hard pressed to come up with a significant amount of Angus % in their genes. Black gene is dominant. I had black Simmental 1/2 bloods back in 1971, and still have a cow family from that original group.
I found this right away after googling "Certified Black Angus": The Certified Angus Beef ®​ brand is a label recognizing the best Angus beef: always tasty, tender and juicy. Other labels may say Angus, but that's where the similarities end. The brand, established in 1978, is truly a stamp of exceptional quality, and your sign of a great meal.

What it's supposed to be and what it is are two entirely different things.

And I have no doubt that anything with a black hide can be sold, slaughtered, packaged, and plated as CAB... and claimed to be Black Angus.

The whole thing is a cluster f**k and the "certification" is entirely bogus... resulting in damage to the entire industry.

The vegans and animal rights zealots would be thrilled if they understood what was going on...

Last edited:
This all day long! I correct people every single day about this. I will give the AAA credit; they hoodwinked the entire nation beginning in the early 80's when no one wanted their cattle!

This all day long! I correct people every single day about this. I will give the AAA credit; they hoodwinked the entire nation beginning in the early 80's when no one wanted their cattle!
It's hard to believe that in my lifetime raising cattle you could go to the stockyard and see almost no black cattle. Now it's a small % each week that's not black.

I've said for years the Angus beef thing is just a marketing scam.
You can complain all you want about 40 yrs of marketing angus beef as a scam.
Truth is 120+ yrs ago, at the turn of the century, angus were no more popular than black galloways. Angus fertility, efficiency and quality under the widest range of conditions is the reason the breed won out to become the most popular breed with cattlemen in the USA by the 1950s and color had nothing to do with it.
fertility = profit

Last edited:
I've said for years the Angus beef thing is just a marketing scam. But you Gota hand it to the Angus Assoc for doing a bang up job in promoting and furthering their "product" by using color to simply make their breed the most marketable. Hence why it's the most crossed breed.
They also got a friendly congressman to make CAB a rule, which added to the scam's legitimacy.

I found this right away after googling "Certified Black Angus": The Certified Angus Beef ®​ brand is a label recognizing the best Angus beef: always tasty, tender and juicy. Other labels may say Angus, but that's where the similarities end. The brand, established in 1978, is truly a stamp of exceptional quality, and your sign of a great meal.

What it's supposed to be and what it is are two entirely different things.

And I have no doubt that anything with a black hide can be sold, slaughtered, packaged, and plated as CAB... and claimed to be Black Angus.

The whole thing is a cluster f**k and the "certification" is entirely bogus... resulting in damage to the entire industry.

The vegans and animal rights zealots would be thrilled if they understood what was going on...
The CAB program is based on carcass specifications. The idea is to sell a pleasurable eating experience, every time. I was witness to the early years, the thinking was to increase demand for angus bulls. I never heard anyone say it would turn the nation's cow herd black. From the beginning, it was assumed most of the eligible cattle would be half angus and that is why they don't have to be pure black. It is a successful marketing program, but it took a lot of dedication and money to get the program rolling. I would also point out there is no law saying you have to breed black cattle, it is every producers choice whether to chase that premium.

Truth is 120+ yrs ago, at the turn of the century, angus were no more popular than black galloways. Angus fertility, efficiency and quality under the widest range of conditions is the reason the breed won out to become the most popular breed with cattlemen in the USA by the 1950s and color had nothing to do with it.
fertility = profit
You must have lived in different 1950's than the 1950's I'm aware of, lol.

I remember the first black Angus that came to my dad's ranch, a neighbor's bull that he thought a lot of. But every other animal in the entire valley was Hereford.

And just like then, and now, take the skin off and there isn't any difference.

The CAB program is based on carcass specifications. The idea is to sell a pleasurable eating experience, every time. I was witness to the early years, the thinking was to increase demand for angus bulls. I never heard anyone say it would turn the nation's cow herd black. From the beginning, it was assumed most of the eligible cattle would be half angus and that is why they don't have to be pure black. It is a successful marketing program, but it took a lot of dedication and money to get the program rolling. I would also point out there is no law saying you have to breed black cattle, it is every producers choice whether to chase that premium.

The "premium" is entirely illegitimate and damaging the cattle industry. Buyers that pay less for red/white/whatever-other-than-black cattle are just feeding the problem.

It was a brilliant marketing campaign... but that doesn't mean it's a good thing. It is a sad thing when cattle that are just as high in quality are discounted due to bulls**t perception of value.

The "premium" is entirely illegitimate and damaging the cattle industry. Buyers that pay less for red/white/whatever-other-than-black cattle are just feeding the problem.

It was a brilliant marketing campaign... but that doesn't mean it's a good thing. It is a sad thing when cattle that are just as high in quality are discounted due to bulls**t perception of value.
The off colored cattle are not discounted,,,they bring what they are worth. The CAB eligible black cattle bring a premium. Say a red steer brings $1.50 per lb, a Char brings $1.50 per pound, and a black steer brings $1.75 at a sale today. The red and white ones were NOT discounted 25 cents a pound..the back one brought a 25 cent per pound premium.

The off colored cattle are not discounted,,,they bring what they are worth. The CAB eligible black cattle bring a premium. Say a red steer brings $1.50 per lb, a Char brings $1.50 per pound, and a black steer brings $1.75 at a sale today. The red and white ones were NOT discounted 25 cents a pound..the back one brought a 25 cent per pound premium.

And yet on the rail, once the hide is removed... every one of them gets packaged and sold for the same price and quite possibly as "Certified Angus Beef".

That's the definition of discounted for no good reason.

And what does CAB stand for? Certified Angus Beef. We all know that the pigmentation of the hide has nothing to do with the quality of the carcass. Long before CAB came into the regulations, the Angus Association was advertising "Certified Angus Beef" through Burger joints like Hardee's.

fertility = profit
Maybe so, back in the day. Angus benefited back then from all the pinkeye, prolapse, bad udders, and bad feet of Herefords. Now after Angus have jumped in EPD's and made a marketing scheme out that nonsense along with AI, they don't have the same fertility quality or other good traits that they once had.

fertility = profit
I have to disagree, back in the 50's and 60's Angus cattle were short and dumpy and no one wanted them. It was only in the 1970's when they started breeding for the more desirable traits that we see now. The majority of CAB cattle are not even primarily Angus, they just have to have a predominantly black hide. I don't disagree with the requirment of better carcass characteristics, but being Angus has nothing to do with that.

fertility = profit
Scam may have been taken more harshly than intended. My point being in my herd, I've ate straight angus and charlois etc. I don't tell much difference in my steaks if their fed right. Scam…,.no. But well marketed and promoted yes. And yes I think we are starting to see the same with the Waygu breeds although I have no experience in eating them or raising them. I just see the same marketing etc happening

I agree about the Waygu marketing - that's what it is - marketing. Why does anyone need more than a High Choice or Prime piece of meat? You have to feed an animal that isn't carrying enough muscling to compare to a young beef animal.
I agree - CAB Program has been a marketing tool that is successful - but, all the beef industry did benefit. If nothing else, just the trickle-down pricing. I know "I" benefited when I sold my PB Simmentals on the rail. Got a premium every time.
I think, if we could get the numbers, the "other" mixed breeds or "other" PB breeds out number the Angus carcasses in the CAB because they have a hard time meeting the carcass requirements. I am trying to research that, but not finding what I'm looking for. I know I read it once. And, that may not be true "today".

Latest posts