New Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

jehosofat

Reaction score
My last post got lost in the board snafu. Here is a little better pic of him, 17 month old Red Angus. What do you think, give me some hard criticism on him.

A better picture. I think he is a nice bull. Some might still criticize the musculature of the posterior aspect of the hip and thigh. I saw Jeanne's comment on the previous thread and she made a remark about that. He would look a little better to me if he carried a little more mass forward of his mid belly and had a bit more neck.

You also mentioned that he comes from a good cow family. I think that makes up for some flaws in phenotype.

The proof is always his calves. Thanks for posting.

Would like more of an azz he's a little looser in the sheath then I prefer but certainly not a bad bull and I agree about liking reds

frieghttrain":1d1ydm8g said:
Would like more of an azz he's a little looser in the sheath then I prefer but certainly not a bad bull and I agree about liking reds
Think he's got Gert. in him also...reason for the sheath..

ALACOWMAN":27hajjwt said:
frieghttrain":27hajjwt said:
Think he's got Gert. in him also...reason for the sheath..

Yes sir, you are correct, his mama is 1/2 RA, and 1/2 Gert. His mama is the best mama cow I know of locally. I would pay dearly to have her.

He is an AI out of Andras Fusion R236.

I make most of my decisions on retaining heifers for my herd based on how I like the dam. When Fire Sweep did an evaluation of my calves in March, I told her that I was keeping Priceless for myself. She replied that she had a slightly tilted hip. I said yes, so does her Dam. She responded that it was not a good trait for calving. I responded that her Dam is the easiest calving cow in the herd. Every year, I watch her spit out 100 pound calves - she is a big cow and her calves average 93 pounds - like they are watermelon seeds. The cow has a great pedigree, bred by Rocking P as part of their Hudson Pine Farm partnership.

So I will trade a few flaws in phenotype for a good pedigree and knowing the dam proved herself.

She called it the hip - I am referring to the pelvis.

Latest posts