New bull

Help Support CattleToday:

RBB,

Do you breed your better cows using the top bulls you can match with your cows employing Artificial Insemination practices?

If so, is this going to be your clean-up bull?

USAxBrad":3buhhyk7 said:
Dam good looking bull....do you mind me asking what sale you bought him at?
He was bought from the farm. Thomas Farms.

Margonme":3buhhyk7 said:
RBB,

Do you breed your better cows using the top bulls you can match with your cows employing Artificial Insemination practices?

I do some AI to bulls that I think will improve my herd, I don't pay much attention to what others consider to be top bulls. I have found what others think and what I think to be quite different. When you have one of the best bulls around in the pasture not much need to worry with AI.
Thank you to all that have to commented on the thread. A good bull is a good bull no matter the breed.

Red Bull Breeder":1inxncj6 said:
USAxBrad":1inxncj6 said:

Margonme":1inxncj6 said:
RBB,

I do some AI to bulls that I think will improve my herd, I don't pay much attention to what others consider to be top bulls. I have found what others think and what I think to be quite different. When you have one of the best bulls around in the pasture not much need to worry with AI.
Thank you to all that have to commented on the thread. A good bull is a good bull no matter the breed.

Thank you, RBB. Yes. Not surprising and not a bad thing. It keeps the lights on; the quest for the perfect bull.

Red Bull Breeder":2963gtvq said:
USAxBrad":2963gtvq said:

Margonme":2963gtvq said:
RBB,

It's the color that matters the most, just look at all the fancy AI bulls with blaze faces. There's a big difference in looking at an AI bull in a catalog, and a bull that's been raised in the pasture. If my hay tested 10% my cows would never see a grain of feed. A fancy bull doesn't stay fancy around here for long. But by the time his first calf crop comes you know if the bulls a keeper or cull.

That's a nice looking bull. Just let him stay at my place to breed my few cows one year when you don't feel like feeding him in your off season. A good red Limo, Simmy, or Gelbvieh is hard to find in my neck of the woods anymore.

Margonme":6fhurhkn said:
Red Bull Breeder":6fhurhkn said:
USAxBrad":6fhurhkn said:

Margonme":6fhurhkn said:
RBB,

Thank you, RBB. Yes. Not surprising and not a bad thing. It keeps the lights on; the quest for the perfect bull.

I agree with your statement and will also add a good bull is a good bull regardless of whether he will be used in a commercial herd or a purebred herd. I get so tired of PB breeders saying he is a good bull for a commercial herd but not for a purebred herd. He is either good or bad. Where he resides or the color of his hair coat doesn't determine if he is good or bad. Most of these so called "Good commercial bulls I see" should of had the knife used on them.

Thanks Bama.
Elkwc if I make a better cow or bull for myself it will be a better product for the people that buy what I have. Chasing the latest and greatest doesn't always make things better.

Nice! I love that he carries the traits that make a Limi great, but in slightly modern, smooth made package. I love his head too!

Red Bull Breeder":u45o9aw1 said:
Thanks 3way and Gator. I have to half sisters to him that look pretty good as well.

BTW Randy there's sure nothing wrong with a 36 yearling scrotal on any breed and especially a Limi. You got a dandy there. You should be real proud to own him.

I have had the chance to look at a lot of bulls this year in several different herds. I think he is the best I have seen. I may be biased. I own a half interest in him. Thomas farms have always maintained a better than average scrotal in there herd for the breed.

Latest posts