New Bull #2

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
Just got this guy delivered today. The pics do not do him justice. Got him from Diemert Herefords a.k.a Northern Genetics.

2009newbull143.jpg

2009newbull147.jpg

2009newbull138.jpg

Not a good pic. He wouldn't look right at me.

2009newbull148.jpg

His hind feet look to be under him too much, he just got done reaching into the feeder for some hay.

Born 3-30-08 BW 91, WW 664, weaned 10-15-08

Sire WB Bear Market ET 35N
Dam AD 10J Stay At Home Mom 3073

I probably need a bigger, sexier, new monitor; but in those photos (on this machine) it looks like he has a little swelling on that front "driver's side" pastern and he looks a little shallow hoofed. I don't know if I am imagining things there or not, but that troubles me. In that one front photo he looks a little narrowmade, but that wasn't a real attractive pose. Other than those ticky tack dings, he is deep ribbed, has adequate muscling, level topped, and should grow into a big eye appealing bull if he grows out right.

I like him. He looks a lot to what I imagine my old fella looked like as a yearling before I bought him. Good bone. He is going to be impressive when he is 4+ years old. Nothing wrong with the weights either. Good cow maker. :cowboy:

Nice bull. Looks like he had been scanned for REA and IMF did you get the results? How big was the REA.?If you dont mind me asking.JHH

JHH I don't have that info yet. I can hardly wait to see it. :D

northtexas the breeder has a better picture of him then I do on the front. If he was standing square on with both front feet side by side it would have looked better.

Looks sound enough, not a bad hip, just very little over the top and overall could have done with more muscle.

i say he is a fine looking bull.an from looking at his rear end.he is going tobe a thick bull in the rear.an he is long bodied.

I know it's hard getting pics. They seem to be on the move when you have a camera. Looks like a good young bull. Are you putting him with cows soon?

I luv herfrds":3haokcvw said:
JHH I don't have that info yet. I can hardly wait to see it. :D

northtexas the breeder has a better picture of him then I do on the front. If he was standing square on with both front feet side by side it would have looked better.

Solid young bull!

No actual measurements available, but you can get his indexes from his performance pedigree online.

Here they are:

Birth Wt. 108.0 %
Weaning Wt. 108.0 %
Yearling Wt. 102.0 %
Yearling Ht.
Yr. Sc. Cir. 35.0 Cm.
Fat Depth 111.0 %
Ribeye Area 103.0 %
IMF 103.0 %

Although his actual BW is not high for that part of the country, I'm not sure I'd use him on heifers until I saw a calf crop.

George

Actually 91 lbs. is pretty high for us personally George. He is for the cows, not the heifers.

mnmt the hubby wants to wait til next season, but I think give him a couple of days to get used to our place then put him out with the cows. Hubby's concern is the Churchill bull we have out right now would run him off and drive him through the fence; had that happen several years ago with a couple of different bulls.

I would not recommend putting a yearling bull out with a mature bull, when the mature bull was already with the cows. A mature bull can intimidate a young bull enough to ruin him. If they had been kept together previously, that's could be different.

Just got this from the breeder.

Age at scan 404
weight at scan 952
Rump fat .09
Rib fat act .10
Rib fat adj .08
Rib fat Ratio 111
rea act 10.20
rea adj 9.61
Rea ratio
REA/CWT 1.07
imf act 2.47
imf adj 2.40
rea ratio 103

these pics were sent by the breeder.

808.jpg

0808bull_1.jpg

He's the one in the middle

Still in the middle
0808bull.jpg

Very ordinary looking bull. Doesn't look like sire material to me. Bet you didn't pay much for him. If you did you've been had. Surely the US Hereford breed has better young bulls than this. A bull like this would not get passed an inspection system here in our country.

Australian":5bhbpwff said:
Very ordinary looking bull. Doesn't look like sire material to me. Bet you didn't pay much for him. If you did you've been had. Surely the US Hereford breed has better young bulls than this. A bull like this would not get passed an inspection system here in our country.

While this bull isn't fault-free, he was raised in some of the toughest range conditions we have in the US. That certainly must be considered when judging him.

Cattle raised in some places in the Western US, where normal stocking rates are 30 to 50 acres per animal unit, just aren't going to look like similarly bred animals that are located in streamside bottom areas or the lush pastures in the eastern US where the normal stocking rate is much lower.

George

It's clear that these bulls are raised in big range country for covering ground. Not raised in feedlot conditions or on test to see how fat they can get by their first breeding season. That last thing you want to turn out on the big pastures is a fat young bull. I'd take a bull like this any day.
As far as putting a yearling bull with a mature bull. It's done all the time. Few problems, especially on big pastures. The young bull won't mess with the big guy and will keep a distance.
It's far worse to turn in a equal size new bull to the pasture. Equal size bulls may never establish a pecking order and will waste much time and energy fighting, pawing, bellowing and concentrating on each other more then the cows. It's different when bulls are Wintered together.

Australian this bull was raised on grass and not in a feed lot. They are also very dry where he is, so he actually is a very good bull.
No skin off my nose if you don't like him. We do like him and look forward to his calves.

As a newcomer I am certainly not one to comment on this or any other bull, + or -.

When we post pictures however, I think we need to be prepared for and even welcome all comments both positive and negative.

Australian's comment does a couple things - points out differences between Australia and the US and makes me ask what sort of inspection they are talking about in Australia. This is the way we learn something.

If all we want is positive statements about every picture we post and use terms like "no skin off my nose...." then the whole discussion loses something. And becomes boring. Folks eventually tend not to post critical opposing views.

I think we need to be prepared for and even encourage comments which are both plus and minus. Takes a tough hide some time but I think the discussion is all the better for it. I enjoy reading comments on evaluations. Hopefully will eventually sink in a bit and make me a better judge of my own cattle and make better keep-or-ship decisions. jmho.

Jim

Jim, on this board I've learned there are two types of people. There's the "good enough" crowd. And the "always striving for better" crowd. The bull posted is "good enough". But everyone's goal should be to breed/buy better. If this bull fits your requirements, maybe you need to raise your standards. He's a decent (at best) bull. If your offended by that - tough luck. That's not said disrespectfully either, but there's no reason to get defensive when someone accurately and respectfully critques cattle that's been posted.

maybe this is out of line but i thought i would say a few words on I LUV HEREFORDS behalf. i don't know if she remembers or not but i sold some heifers to her husband a long time ago and that is the only time we have done business until this bull. i would like to say, after seeing their cow herd for the first time i think they are doing an excellent job breeding their commercial herefords. they have above average udders in those cows, with excellent pigment in them and are obviously the right kind with the set of calves i saw them nursing. my only complaint was their cow size. they selected this 808 bull for a couple of reasons and my hat goes off to them and their selection told me they are thinking for themselves and their own regards in what they want their herd to be. they told me they wanted to knock off some of the frame without sacrificing what sometimes goes with doing that and they couldn't have chosen a better bred bull from me to do the job - and they picked him out before they told me any of that - so they obviously know a little about hereford cattle. old bear and especially bear mark is a good choice to make that step. plus the et homebuilder son by the peacock cow has been consistently solid. there was some extra white in the cattle mentioned above but they have some nice short marked herefords that is going to make a nice cross.

as a commercial breeder i know how easy or tempting it is to get caught up in something that ends up taking you further from your game plan - these guys have that plan.

Yeah I remember them 2 heifers. :D They were the start of my son's herd. One even threw a set of twins for us.

Jim,
I've taken a lot of criticism on our bulls. Took it in stride even.
I do not want cows weighing over 1400# throwing calves so large they need help to get up and nurse. I know which way we want to go with this herd.
I could of picked a bigger bull from the yearlings that Hereford 76 had up for sale, but this bull fit just what we needed to bring into our cattle.
I have listened to some great breeders on here and have taken their suggestions very seriously. I even pm them and get their thoughts. Had the 5 I respect the most have thrown in their thoughts already.
I know every time that I post a pic there is some one who will not like that animal. No skin off my nose.
I have seen pics of just about every breed on here and some I have looked at and really liked and some I didn't care for.
Figure if I can point out things that I like and don't like about these others then everyone else can do the same to mine.
I've got "thick skinned" on here.
By the way there was nothing constructive in Australian's comment.
There was in several others though.

Latest posts