new building

Help Support CattleToday:

ddd75

Reaction score
building2.jpg

building1.jpg

got one of the gable ends done today..

still have to put on a lean for feeding the cows and a 12' lane beside that to feed them on.

coming along nicely.

btw thats not my hay. the neighbors bring over hay they don't make very good and I use it for ground cover. :)

Maybe a dumb question but I see so many sheds built most have 12 to 16 foot walls. As you were saying ddd75 of putting a lean on why don't more people do that? I understand it's obviously a little more roof steel and a little shorter on the leans but still for putting trailers or shorter equipment skid steer attachment or a place for cattle to just get out the elements. I would think the cost would be by far cheaper to add a lean than another building? Maybe I missing something I just know a lot of guys who have multiple sheds when probably a 3rd of half of the stuff would fit under a lean.

Smoothy":l4t6oyzw said:
Maybe a dumb question but I see so many sheds built most have 12 to 16 foot walls. As you were saying ddd75 of putting a lean on why don't more people do that? I understand it's obviously a little more roof steel and a little shorter on the leans but still for putting trailers or shorter equipment skid steer attachment or a place for cattle to just get out the elements. I would think the cost would be by far cheaper to add a lean than another building? Maybe I missing something I just know a lot of guys who have multiple sheds when probably a 3rd of half of the stuff would fit under a lean.

i'm not sure.. probably most people don't like the 'look'.. if done right they look pretty good. Just like you said.. most walls are 12-16' tall.. so you can add a lean easily. No trusses to mess with, easy to throw up, etc.

You must not know how to weld. I'll never use another wood frame truss, steel is stronger, will last longer and takes less time to construct. I doubt I'll ever use much wood again in construction, the carpenter bee's have ate everything up around here. Looks like a beautiful barn and the concrete floor is only a dream for me.

True Grit Farms":nxrelcn2 said:
You must not know how to weld. I'll never use another wood frame truss, steel is stronger, will last longer and takes less time to construct. I doubt I'll ever use much wood again in construction, the carpenter bee's have ate everything up around here. Looks like a beautiful barn and the concrete floor is only a dream for me.

i've put together red steel buildings before. for the cost of them vs. what I have into this, I could build 4 of these.

Smoothy":285vhfcq said:

Lean too construction is actually on the expensive side per sq ft. My shop and office are both under a 36'x60' addition to a 40'x60' building. To get the max ceiling height in the shop, (still only 11') I used engineered mono trusses with a 1/12 pitch. It was a pain in the azz to strip back the siding on the existing barn to have something to start off of, and we never got it all sealed back up as good as I'd like. It's hay storage and horse stalls in the old part, and the shop and office are constantly dusty. I had $8.50/sq ft in it and did it all myself,(had help, just didn't hire it done) and that was 10 years ago. I could have built a separate shed for the same or a little less, and I wouldn't have the low ceiling height and constant dust issues. The narrower the lean too, the more $ per sq ft you will have in posts or foundation. When we built our new warehouse this spring, I worked through all the options to get the cheapest square footage possible. It was cheaper every time to go with a wider truss than to add a lean too. All of that said, I've done it before, and I'll probably do it again.

ddd75":2bp35jub said:
True Grit Farms":2bp35jub said:

i've put together red steel buildings before. for the cost of them vs. what I have into this, I could build 4 of these.

I think that's BS's but if it works for you that's all that matters. Around here a metal scissor truss is cheaper than a wood scissor truss.

Leans don't work well here because of all the trees. Lots of people here have them and all suffer the same problem. I like them, but we had one on the old barn, and if you didn't keep all the pine needles and oak tree leaves washed or swept off the roof, it would (and did) rust in short order because of the retained moisture under the leaves. The angle is just too slight to allow for them to slide off on their own. Your new building is looking good DDD.

You are improving the tax base over on that side of the river. BTW: the terrain over there is level!!! Don't you miss those Lewis County hills? Lol

Looking good!

True Grit Farms":2l0qr8cb said:
ddd75":2l0qr8cb said:
True Grit Farms":2l0qr8cb said:

I think that's BS's but if it works for you that's all that matters. Around here a metal scissor truss is cheaper than a wood scissor truss.

i priced steel trusses, couldn't find very many people that actually had them. I found a guy in virginia that had some.. I think they were about double the price of these if not more.. These are 50' span 4/12 pitch 9' spacing for 290.00 each.

thanks all... got the gable ends covered up today. next step is ridge vents and caps. then prepare for concreting the rest of the barn and some aprons on each end.

I poured a pad last year for the cows and built this over top of it. I was going to do 54' but found in stock trusses for a lot cheaper.. had to use a breaker hammer on a skid steer to bust the concrete for one side of the posts, but i'll have the same in it with the lean as the 54'.

Looks great would like to see some pics of your lean where the cows will be parked. Just getting ideas we are in the early stages of planning for a new building

Latest posts