New breeding heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

Misty

Reaction score
http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s296 ... fy/Hootch/

She is a simmi cross heifer bred to 6I6 from Select Sires.
They picked up their FFA heifer wrangle heifers Feb 10th, well to make a long story short, they were horrible. Many it seems were too small to be breeding soon. So the FFA Foundation sent each kid a check and the option to sell the heifers they have and use the money to go buy a heifer from a breeder of their choice. Or, they could use the money to offset costs of the current heifer. Well, he bought a new heifer today and here she is.

006.jpg

004.jpg

She's a pretty good heifer, but I would like to see her a bit deeper ribbed. Also her shoulder structure doesn't look ideal to me, but I could be wrong. Good luck with her.

Is she going to be used for breeding only or showing? If showing, NO. At least not if you want to compete at the big ones.

She looks nice enough. A bit of feed and bloom on her and a good clip job could make a world of difference.

As was said, she could be a shade deeper. The shoulders I think are okay, perhaps just on the edge of being a touch heavy, but again a good clip job can really fine her up in the front end.

Good heifer, I'd feed her.

she is not meant for a "show heifer". the FFA Foundation wants these to stray away from the show type and lean towards the commercial type. I would like to find him a balance. He only had about $850 to work with. Like I say, she is quite the step up from what was donated to the kids. She will show, but only against other FFA heifers. I know there are a lot of improvements to be made, but....for the price he got her for, and she was bred, I still think he got a heck of a deal. I agree with Keren, clipping will make a world of difference. He is going to a Kirk Steirwalt clinic at the end of the month...We will compare her after some feed and a clip job!!
The shoulders bugged me too but I could not put my finger on it. I think you are on the money Keren.
Thanks for the input.

she is not meant for a "show heifer". the FFA Foundation wants these to stray away from the show type and lean towards the commercial type. I would like to find him a balance. He only had about $850 to work with. Like I say, she is quite the step up from what was donated to the kids. She will show, but only against other FFA heifers. I know there are a lot of improvements to be made, but....for the price he got her for, and she was bred, I still think he got a heck of a deal. I agree with Keren, clipping will make a world of difference. He is going to a Kirk Steirwalt clinic at the end of the month...We will compare her after some feed and a clip job!!
The shoulders bugged me too but I could not put my finger on it. I think you are on the money Keren.
Thanks for the input.

Latest posts