New BP guidelines...........

Help Support CattleToday:

Mine averages 116/58 resting. Can get up to 160-175/70ish during exercise.
(I have also seen it as low as 90/48 resting..I check it at least once/day)
Yesterday right before a TEE procedure at Kingwood hospital, , it was 119/61. I am not on BP medicines.

TennesseeTuxedo":3brmc2dl said:
Where does 196/129 fit in?

That's my personal best from 2006.
Dang man. Might ought to have that checked. Mine has always been around 120/80 or there abouts but pulse will always be over 100......MD put me on a BP med to lower my pulse. Took about 4 months to get dosage adjusted but now runs about 100-105/65-70 most of the time and pulse around 80.

Usually, the easiest way to lower BP is to lose weight. I lost over 50 lbs in the last 18 months.
JLTrent's link explains that.
I also gave up booze in Nov 2015.

TexasBred":tftsp6pp said:
TennesseeTuxedo":tftsp6pp said:

Dang man. Might ought to have that checked. Mine has always been around 120/80 or there abouts but pulse will always be over 100......MD put me on a BP med to lower my pulse. Took about 4 months to get dosage adjusted but now runs about 100-105/65-70 most of the time and pulse around 80.

I did, made some lifestyle changes and haven't had any issues since then.

Great bp, great pulse, and no irregular hb showing on the machine GB. Good job on the weight reduction. I went to the Dr. mid May for a regular checkup and from the tests everything was between the lines.(trying to keep it that way)

jltrent":2tz3e2r4 said:
Great bp, great pulse, and no irregular hb showing on the machine GB. Good job on the weight reduction. I went to the Dr. mid May for a regular checkup and from the tests everything was between the lines.(trying to keep it that way)
Oh, I get the "irregularly irregular heart beat" all the time. This just wasn't one of them.
(Afib, which is why I had the Watchman device implanted last month)
My pulse rate was quite a bit higher than it usually is, but I had just came in from penning some cows so I can cull a few out and hope to haul them to sale Saturday. It's almost always in the low 60s upper 50s.

TexasBred":3ekfn294 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3ekfn294 said:

What are you taking for HighBP TB?

I was on Metopolol 25mg 1/day for a while in 2016 and a couple months into 2017 while getting the weight off and then didn't need it any longer.

greybeard":lvxvancp said:
TexasBred":lvxvancp said:
TennesseeTuxedo":lvxvancp said:

What are you taking for HighBP TB?

I was on Metopolol 25mg 1/day for a while in 2016 and a couple months into 2017 while getting the weight off and then didn't need it any longer.

That's what they have me taking GB. When they first put me on it, BP went so low I passed out 5 times. Talked to doctor, he adjusted it and it got better. Then he changed me to the same meds by name but a time release formulation and I can't even tell I take it now. BP doesn't go as low but pulse goes down closer to "normal".

Metoprolol succinate (label may say Succ ER) is the slow release or extended release and Metoprolol Tartrate is the immediate release. I was on the succinate.

'Guidelines' and 'normal' and everything that falls under the bell curve are methods of defining BP.

My BP runs low and my pulse is on the extreme left of the bell curve. According to my doctor, that is my 'normal'. My pulse has been as low as 48. My blood pressure both systolic and diastolic can fall below the median for measured BP. I have some early morning symptoms - really hard to describe. Not dizzy, it is more like feeling like you want to sleep. I recently passed out one morning. Doctor says he has the same characteristics. Low pulse, low morning BP.

My BIL BP runs low and the funny thing is they use the same meds for low BP as for high BP for him.

BP should normally be lower in the morning. The evening meal is mostly already digested, your body muscles and heart muscles aren't doing much so there's no reason for increased blood flow to those relaxed muscles. Once you get some caffiene in you, or breakfast and start walking around, and even thinking, bp will go up because the voluntary and involuntary movement of your arms, neck and the heart muscle itself demand more o2 rich blood. Between the time I had my heart cath and the actual bypass surgery, I sat thru an explanation of what had happened and why, and how it was all supposed to work. It was pretty interesting. The coronary arteries that supply blood to the heart muscles come right off the big aorta near the top of the heart, which is the same big artery that supplies blood to your brain, neck and arms thru the subclavian arteries and the 2 cartoid arteries. IOW, the heart's muscles get o2 rich blood before everything else.
That aorta makes a big loop, with the part between the top of the loop and the heart going upwards..it's called the ascending aorta, once the loop or arch is made, the part that sends blood down your body to legs and abdomen is called the descending aorta, but way before that, the heart muscles should have already gotten their supply of 'good' blood.
It's quite an amazing organ really.

greybeard":sxtzyyfe said:
Metoprolol succinate (label may say Succ ER) is the slow release or extended release and Metoprolol Tartrate is the immediate release. I was on the succinate.
That was the change they made GB. Can't even tell I take it now.

My BP has been running high and they can't figure out why, it has extreme fluctuations, I'll go from 117/78 one day to 180/90 the next. When I went in the one time it was 190/100. I'm taking something now that's helping but still big swings. Scary part is my white blood cells are high. If it goes up one more time they want to take a sliver of my hip bone and test it. That sounds fun.

ohiosteve":1xl5wngq said:
My BP has been running high and they can't figure out why, it has extreme fluctuations, I'll go from 117/78 one day to 180/90 the next. When I went in the one time it was 190/100. I'm taking something now that's helping but still big swings. Scary part is my white blood cells are high. If it goes up one more time they want to take a sliver of my hip bone and test it. That sounds fun.

I don't like any kind of invasive procedure. It is totally mental because I have a high tolerance to pain. Hope it is nothing but a little stress.

Latest posts