New bottle babies

Help Support CattleToday:

GoddessL8n

Reaction score
Hello all. I am new to bottle babies. I just picked up a 10 day old a 15 day old and a 21 day old, all Bulls. I was told by the lady I picked them up from that I should keep them separate so that they do not nurse on each other's umbilical cord area. How long do I need to keep them separated from each other?

It will not be long. If your child does not have any problems, you will soon find out. I understand you, I know you fight like you.

I run all my bottle babies together. They will try to suck each other some, but usually it is not a big deal. I do try to keep them separate for about a half hour to an hour when they are less than 2 weeks old so they quit the immediate need to suck after finishing their bottle. If you can get them to drink out of a bucket, they tend to want to suck each other much less. By 2 weeks, mine are already trying the feed in the bunk with the "bigger" calves. I like having them somewhat co-mingle as the littler ones copy the older ones. So they are nosing feed and hay and water drinking sooner.

Romoidinut":27gtiapb said:
It will not be long. If your child does not have any problems, you will soon find out. I understand you, I know you fight like you.

Well said.

Romoidinut":2bkxk0hv said:
Words to live by

Latest posts