New born with maggots

Help Support CattleToday:

jallen

Reaction score
I have a 4 day old calf that has gotten maggots on his rear an underneath. I just discovered the problem. In not really sure what to do other than clean him up. I sprayed gin down good with a premertherin mix and wiped hin down the best I could but he was putting up a pretty good fight. He is coated heavily. Will that kill them? Around his anus he was bloody looking and I could tell flies had worked on him. Thi is a first for me as the flies have just now gotten bad around here. Any advice?

A cup of bleach to a gallon of water is a very very strong solution.
A neighbor had a newborn calf with the same problem which was taken care of with a de-wormer, not sure what he used though..
Have had cases of fly strike in injuries, which we used a warm solution of strong epsom salts, followed by "blue kote" or "keraplex"
both gentian voilet /metholated voilet product.
The flies don't like either the epsom salts or the blue stuff.
Would be cautious with the bleach. It very well may work, but that stuff is pretty rough...

They had gotten down to the flesh in spots. I got them all killed I believe. I drenched hin with permethrin spray and they all seemed to die. The flies got lost at that point. I was concerned with infection and will get with the vet Monday. For now the calf seems to be doing great otherwise.

please do not mix 1 cup of bleach to 1 gallon of water. it will be too harsh, especially around a sensitive area like the anus.
One tablespoon bleach to one gallon of water will sanitize anything. It is the strength used in the food service industry to sanitize cooking utensils and surfaces.

Don't knock it if your too scared to try it. Guaranteed to work 100% of the time and only one treatment, even if it rains immediately afterwards. It burns a little, but not that harsh (I've gotten it on my hands with cuts on them). Sure would feel 1000 times better than a bunch of maggots in my backside.

Watch close for necrosis (rotten flesh) Jallen, and re-infestation. Hopefully you caught it early and got them all as well as any new eggs.

Same thing happened to me last year , evidently mom didn't clean her calf up very good . Flys and maggots on tail head . Used ultra saber .

Latest posts