NEW BORN CALVES

Help Support CattleToday:

mama will supply this, I hope. I read some where that a nasal spray and a vaccine shot was a good start. problem is I don't remember what it was. maybe a bolus and something else?

Gotcha. Inforce3 is a good nasal spray. Some people give a blackleg vaccination at birth. Vet told me it was too early. I don't know for sure. Definitely won't hurt anything. I give a BoSe shot at birth, which is Selenium and Vitamin E. I also give a Vitamin A&D shot.

what do you think of Inforce 3 Cattle Vaccine? ok I see your reply now that I asked. thanks

Vet told me to blackleg at around 4 months. I don't give anything for scours. But I'm not saying it's a bad thing. Just haven't needed it personally. Just my opinion but I believe the BoSe and Vitamin A&D shots really help with overall health.

Our protocol for newborn calves is....
Ear tag
Band bull calves
Shot of Multimin and Vit ADE

Cows are vaccinated with Express 3 VL5 before breeding and Scour Bos 9 and a 7 way (Clostridial) at the appropriate time before calving.

Things to keep on hand for calving
Powdered Colostrum for any calves that are slow to get up and suck. (or you can milk a cow)
Scour medication (we use Calf Span)
Electrolytes
Some sort of Antibiotic (we keep Resflor and Oxytetracycline on hand most of the time)
2 Esophogeal Feeders (one for tubing colostrum and one for electrolytes to sick calves)

We try to catch them asap (within 2-3 days old), and give them a multimin90 shot and ear tag them according to sex with cows tag number written on it. After that we don't touch them until we work them at 2-3 months of age. Unless there's an issue we don't mess with them... That's what momma's there for...

We ear tag the calves we can find and catch. I like the idea of giving the calves a shot of MultiMin. A healthy, good cow should produce a healthy calf without any help.

Tomcolvin":3hnsfei1 said:
mama will supply this, I hope. I read some where that a nasal spray and a vaccine shot was a good start. problem is I don't remember what it was. maybe a bolus and something else?

I give a First Defense calf bolus, rarely have to treat for scours.

I've been giving Toltrazuril to newborns for several years now, for coccidiosis. Not sure I see the need for Inforce3 at this point, might be a better idea for branding time, because I could booster it with a 5 way prior to shipping and be within the 180 day time frame to booster.

Silver said:
I've been giving Toltrazuril to newborns for several years now, for coccidiosis. Not sure I see the need for Inforce3 at this point, might be a better idea for branding time, because I could booster it with a 5 way prior to shipping and be within the 180 day time frame to booster.

Do you use a scour vaccine on your cow herd Silver? We have been using the Toltrazuril capsules for a few years now at birth as you describe. Others say that is too early as Cocci hits at a monthish old generally. Between it and the Rumensin and BioMoss in our mineral and a scour vaccine on the cow herd we don't see near the scour calves we had previously.
We have been giving the intra nasal for Pasturella for several years, Started giving Inforce3 at the same time last year and boostered the Inforce at branding. The respiratory problems we have been dealing with were considerably less. We do vaccinate the cow herd with a live in the open period at branding also.
Our vet bill works out to about $30 per cow unit. Expensive yes, but dead cattle are hard to sell and a sick calf at less than a month old will be set back 50 lbs by fall.

gcreekrch said:
Silver said:

Do you use a scour vaccine on your cow herd Silver? We have been using the Toltrazuril capsules for a few years now at birth as you describe. Others say that is too early as Cocci hits at a monthish old generally. Between it and the Rumensin and BioMoss in our mineral and a scour vaccine on the cow herd we don't see near the scour calves we had previously.
We have been giving the intra nasal for Pasturella for several years, Started giving Inforce3 at the same time last year and boostered the Inforce at branding. The respiratory problems we have been dealing with were considerably less. We do vaccinate the cow herd with a live in the open period at branding also.
Our vet bill works out to about $30 per cow unit. Expensive yes, but dead cattle are hard to sell and a sick calf at less than a month old will be set back 50 lbs by fall.

I don't use a scour vaccine on the cow herd anymore. We used to. Scours hasn't been an issue for a long time now, maybe because we do a better job of keeping calves on fresh clean ground, maybe because we have more effective treatments and maybe we have got better at recognizing the signs and treating more quickly when a case does arise. Maybe a combination.
I think the Toltrazuril is effective, and it's one of those deals where I fella gets afraid to quit once you're on it. I used a liquid form of Toltrazuril for a year or two when the pill form could not be obtained. It can actually be ordered online quite cheaply, I guess it's a common medicine for racing pigeons, camels, all sorts of creatures. But I like the pill form so continue with it.

Latest posts