New Begginings

Help Support CattleToday:

YoungBlood

Reaction score
I recieved a calf born third week of february for my birthday. I am 22 years old now and this is the first animal in what I hope I can turn into a large herd. As a 22 year old student and a full time job (that ppays not nearly enough) I am hoping that I can get some pointers on a good way to start to develope my herd. I am aware of the multiple methods of impregnating cattle. If anyone can offer to me what they think would be a strong way to begin a herd from number one.

Sincerely

YoungBlood

I guess the first thing that comes to mind is the calf that you recieved is a heifer. With the little i know about you set up, the first thing is to see about the calf. Make sure it gets all the nourishments it needs.Go to a vet there are med. especially for babies to help jump start. With only this one calf i wouldn't get to attacheded and raise it until app. 7 to8 months old and then sell it and perhaps buy a breed heifer are cow to replace it. This would hold off the need for a bull or A I exspenses for awhile. I know it will be hard not to get attached but your looking to turn over from one to two as quickly as possible. After the cow has a calf and at weaning age sell both of them and buy 2 preg cows and so on.You will have to put out a little on each transaction but what you will save on a bull will offset the extra cash.Good look and don't get discouraged.

I am in a similiar predicament as you. I'd hope that first calf is a heifer so that you can make profit off of her to buy more cattle but anyways if it is a bull when you market him as a steer buy back a heifer or cow. There is also the possibilty of saving some money back to buy a cow that is bred with a heifer calf at her side. a 3 in 1. If you have any other questions just email me and I'll get back to you.

The way I started was buying pregnant cows. Sold their calves and bought more pregnant cows. Don't get in a big hury buying cows. I shopped around and bought my fist cows from respectable individuals. They were culls, but culls from a good outfit are alot of times better than what you'll find at the sale barn. And I made good deals on them.
3&1's are also good choices if they're in your budget.
I would sell the calf as soon as it's of age and start working on getting some producing stock.

hope this helps, good luck

These perspectives are exactly what I am looking for, yes the calf is a heifer and I am looking to build a good herd of cows from this one calf. Another angle that I have considered is to just take the time and money and invest in insemenations processes. There is more control (especially with a first term animal) on the birth sizes. With this I can also control the sex to a greater degree. This allows me to build a herd of seven cows plus my original and then at that point I can either continue my path or I can insemenate one of my newer cows with a bull of good stock. This is not a quick path or an easy one but it seems to have some merit.
Any feed back on this????

What breed is the heifer that you were giving (BEEF OR DAIRY).If you decided to keep the heifer and AI pay close attention to EPD'S.

If this is the only bovine you have, I would get another calf about the same age and raise them together. Being herd animals they do better with company, plus if you will later be introducing other cows/calves/steers or whatever this one will be better be able to adjust to others.
Don't let her start playing with you by butting or rubbing her head on you. It will only lead to problems downstream.

dun

I sarted 3 years ago raisen dairy steers bought from a freind that runs a nice small dairy herd.I buy the bull calfs 1-2 weeks old for 35$ I raise them till 18 mounths sell at the local sale . then purchase hereford heifer calves witch i A.I. to redangus.ive also got few black-baldies popps gave me.

Buy 3 in 1 packages; at minimum cow w/calf at side or a good bred cow. Keep only best offspring (females) for breeding; sell the rest. With bull calves most serious breeders "cull" the bottom 90% and keep only the top 10%.

Consider eating at least one of your "cull" bulls each year. You will usually get more value in $ from your beef than you could get at sale barn.

With selective purchases of seedstock cows we have increased our herd 400% in less than 3 years.

Calves are expendable; quality cows and bulls are your best asset.

The breed of my heifer is brangus, and at this point I do not have my own land so she is still intermingleing with my fathers existing herd. I intend to leave my herd mixed with his for purposes of cost and appraisel. So and there is another four month old steer that was purchased as a cow calf pair and then obviously the mother of my calf.

YoungBlood":19zzq8ru said:
The breed of my heifer is brangus, and at this point I do not have my own land so she is still intermingleing with my fathers existing herd. I intend to leave my herd mixed with his for purposes of cost and appraisel. So and there is another four month old steer that was purchased as a cow calf pair and then obviously the mother of my calf.
Your heifer is a mid to late Februrary calf. I would expect that it would be co-mingling with it's mothers existing herd. It is a little young to be weaned at this point in time.Are you saying that the mother of the 4 month steer calf is the mother of your 3 week old heifer calf. If not i am misunderstanding you. I am confused and my name aint Alf.

YoungBlood":w2qzkqen said:
These perspectives are exactly what I am looking for, yes the calf is a heifer and I am looking to build a good herd of cows from this one calf. Another angle that I have considered is to just take the time and money and invest in insemenations processes. There is more control (especially with a first term animal) on the birth sizes. With this I can also control the sex to a greater degree. This allows me to build a herd of seven cows plus my original and then at that point I can either continue my path or I can insemenate one of my newer cows with a bull of good stock. This is not a quick path or an easy one but it seems to have some merit.
Any feed back on this????
Exactly how are you going to get seven cows from your one calf? I'm not understanding your plan on this.

YoungBlood":5j9pmxd7 said:
I recieved a calf born third week of february for my birthday. I am 22 years old now and this is the first animal in what I hope I can turn into a large herd. As a 22 year old student and a full time job (that ppays not nearly enough) I am hoping that I can get some pointers on a good way to start to develope my herd. I am aware of the multiple methods of impregnating cattle. If anyone can offer to me what they think would be a strong way to begin a herd from number one.

Sincerely

YoungBlood

Compared to chickens and hogs, cattle grow slowly. Your calf won't produce a calf until she's a two year old. If all goes well, she'll produce a calf every year for a lot of years. Those calves will not produce a calf until they are two years old. Some of those calves will be males. It's pretty impractical to expect to grow a herd of any size from one cow, unless you "flush" her. When you flush a cow, you give her hormone shots to cause her to ovulate multiple eggs, AI her, then "flush" the fertilized eggs out and implant them into surrogate cows. You can get multiple calves out of one cow every year, depending on the cow's fertility. But it's expensive and is usually done only if the cow is an extremely good cow. I'd agree with those who suggest you try to buy good 3 in 1s (bred cows with calf at side), consider getting your cows bred AI to quality bulls. Good luck...

I believe what he is trying to say, is that there is his calf, (born in feb.),
his calfs mama,....and another 4 month old calf that was purchased along with that calfs mama as a cow / calf pair. therefore, he has 4 hds together, his calf, his calfs mama, the 4 mo old and that calfs mama.
Whew!!

I started at 16 with one cow, and that was a long time ago. You can make it with hard work and dedication. I agree with AI as this the quickest way to improve quality and genetics of your herd to come. Best of luck on your trail.

It is all about cash flow. The fastest way to get any return on your money is to buy pairs (three-in-one if possible). The reduced risk of having a live calf is offset with a higher price, but you can raise the calf and sell it quicker to create the needed cash flow to expand. My advice is to always think of ways to create cash flow in the shortest period of time. In other words, if I buy something how long will it take me to sell something to see a return on my investment. The longer I keep it without any return the more it will cost me.
Good Luck