New Beef Farm Questions

Help Support CattleToday:

kricketfarm

Reaction score
Hey, I'm looking to try and start a beef farm here in the next few years. I want to know some of the things I may need to research and what equipment I may need to invest in prior to my ETS from the Army (currently, I should be getting out in 2016). In order to create a cost-effective and and sustainable farm for beef cattle, what do I need to get ready for?

Thanks for any advice as I am new to this.

Handling facilities are handy to have in place before the cattle arrive.
Cross fencing is valuable for stretching grass life.
Just a couple.
Do you already have a place in mind?

Just noticed the word "sustainable".
That's a pretty wide open term to define or respond to.

Stationed in Ft. Drum, but located in Afghanistan right now :? . What I meant by sustainable was to be successful. Just looking for some tips on getting started, or maybe things I should invest in order to prepare myself for the next couple years. How many cattle would be a good starting point? How much money should I look at saving up or applying for in a loan?

You'll just have to price land in the area you choose. It ain't going to be cheap anywhere. Decide what you can afford, then look at how many animals that acreage will support. Look at the cost of heifers or bred cows is going to cost in that particular area, and go from there, but you also have to figure cost of fencing, shelter, and at least what the care and feed cost will be for the first year.

Mostly what you need to do is a lot of reading and talking to real farmers ranchers--especially on the ground--in that area.
County agent is a good place to start. You can't beat face to face information no matter how good magazines or the internet is.
Don't go in to this blind and un-informed--it's trouble enough even for people who have done it for years.

kricketfarm":ihqmgvkg said:
I was looking for land in the New England area, lots of great farms up there for sale.

Hi Kricket! First, take care of yourself over there. Hope you get to come home soon.

In terms of farms, upstate NY seems to be having a renaissance of sorts. There've been a bunch of articles about all the 20 and 30-somethings going into farming here. It is a very beautiful area. I suspect land prices are a bit less than CT, VT, etc. You might check out United Country realty.

Best of luck to you!

Hi Kricket! First, take care of yourself over there. Hope you get to come home soon.

In terms of farms, upstate NY seems to be having a renaissance of sorts. There've been a bunch of articles about all the 20 and 30-somethings going into farming here. It is a very beautiful area. I suspect land prices are a bit less than CT, VT, etc. You might

Best of luck to you![/quote]
There are some good farms out there and they'll be cheaper in NY . good luck and keep your powder dry. :welcome:

I actually spend a lot of time up there. The land there look really nice, and there's a lot of farms. I think when I get back to the states, I'm gonna take a few weekends and talk to some of the farmers up there to see what I'm gonna have to do in order to start mine up. Do you guys have any recommended reading as far as farm management goes? I spent a decent amount of my childhood on a farm, but nowhere near enough time to know how to run one.

jerry27150":1vkhorkz said:
might try leasing land until you get a herd built up

I've considered this as well. I just don't know of many farms leasing out land in my area.

You been in fort drum you know what winter is. Gotta be able to have hay to last through it , long winters like this one can brake you. :mad:

gonzo":3p93ifr3 said:
You been in fort drum you know what winter is. Gotta be able to have hay to last through it , long winters like this one can brake you. :mad:
Haha, I agree. I plan on taking my first year harvesting hay without cattle once I get my property. In my next two years with the army, I plan on investing on some hay equipment in order to to make it easier when I get out. That way I can minimize the cost of feed during my next year when I buy my cattle. It will also give me time to build my farm the way that I want it without worrying about animals quite yet. Crawl, Walk, Run.