New barn cats,...question

Help Support CattleToday:

grubbie

Reaction score
Okay, nothing against cats, but I have just never been a "cat" guy. We just brought home two kittens, brother and sister. They are six weeks old. They will not be in the house, their purpose is to knock down the mouse population around the corrals and shop. I have them locked up in the shop right now, with water, food, litterbox, bedding. Of course, I do know I will have to get them nuetered as well, and will be putting in a pet door on the shop. My question; Should I leave them in there for a while so they get used to it and dont run off (thats kinda the plan unless told differently)? If so, how long?

they should stick around once they know where food is. biggest problem right now will be predators/road/equipment.

grubbie":163b8lgu said:
Okay, nothing against cats, but I have just never been a "cat" guy. We just brought home two kittens, brother and sister. They are six weeks old. They will not be in the house, their purpose is to knock down the mouse population around the corrals and shop. I have them locked up in the shop right now, with water, food, litterbox, bedding. Of course, I do know I will have to get them nuetered as well, and will be putting in a pet door on the shop. My question; Should I leave them in there for a while so they get used to it and dont run off (thats kinda the plan unless told differently)? If so, how long?

WIth them being that young six weeks. I would definely lock them up in a store room or something like that untill they are at least 4 to 6 six months old. Right now they are to little to be outside trying to fend for themselves.

Inside at night outside during the day
A lot depends on how moxie they are. If they've been raised pampered, well...............

Grubbie, we also have a new cat in the shop. Have been without a cat for many years this one was up a tree where we were working. There was no houses for miles and she was frightened and was there for two days. We brought her home but the dog may not ever become friends with her. She has been in the shop for 3 weeks. We raised the door enough for her to get out she has not left the shop. Hope nothing bothers her since I have decided to have a cat. The last ones we had the coyotes caught some of them and the older cat got bobcat fever. I know a good cat will keep the mice, rats and snakes away from the house.

Coyotes dont come too close to the house for now, so many rabbits they dont have to look far for a meal. Owls like to hang around so that is a concern especially for young kittens. Gonna keep em in the shop for at least a month. I'll put in a pet door so they can enter and leave the shop as they please after that. Hope they do okay, cute little buggers. Definitely need to get rid of some mice.

grubbie":2zlg9bct said:

Generally speaking - anytime you bring a new cat home, you keep him/her confined for a period of 2-3 weeks to allow them to settle in to their new environment.

grubbie":1x73pdr4 said:

every time the barn cat has kittens only about 2 survive the rest are eaten by owls. Best keep them locked up till tehy are big enough to get away from an owl or hawk. I wouldnt pamper them or else you dont have very good barn cats. you almost want them near wild.

TNMasterBeefProducer":11hw2u7m said:
CattleHand":11hw2u7m said:
grubbie":11hw2u7m said:

every time the barn cat has kittens only about 2 survive the rest are eaten by owls. Best keep them locked up till tehy are big enough to get away from an owl or hawk. I wouldnt pamper them or else you dont have very good barn cats. you almost want them near wild.

Yeah but that dont mean beat em ever day either.
Guess someone should have mentioned that earlier. The wife and I have been taking turns every two hours going out and throwing them against the wall. As far as the pampering, I kinda figured that,......don't want them very tame. Not sure what to do about the owls. Im pretty sure they could take a full grown cat, unless maybe it's a real big one. These cats are white, so are the jackrabbits in winter. We'll see I guess. Thanks for all the replies.

grubbie":2aqdr37j said:
CattleHand":2aqdr37j said:
grubbie":2aqdr37j said:

Guess someone should have mentioned that earlier. The wife and I have been taking turns every two hours going out and throwing them against the wall. As far as the pampering, I kinda figured that,......don't want them very tame. Not sure what to do about the owls. Im pretty sure they could take a full grown cat, unless maybe it's a real big one. These cats are white, so are the jackrabbits in winter. We'll see I guess. Thanks for all the replies.

the important question at this point was it an overhand or underhand throw? Owls wont get a full grown cat. Either the cat is too smart or my grandpa has told me the cat flips onto their back and can give the owl a good fight.

ugh. You can be nice to your kittens and they can be VERY tame and still be wonderful mousers and catchers of all things small and nasty. They do not need to be almost wild. Another disgusting myth is that if you feed your cats well, they will not catch things and do their work. Yes, they will. Feed them well.

I am glad to hear you and your wife are getting them fixed. :tiphat:

angie":lwtzqqpw said:
ugh. You can be nice to your kittens and they can be VERY tame and still be wonderful mousers and catchers of all things small and nasty. They do not need to be almost wild. Another disgusting myth is that if you feed your cats well, they will not catch things and do their work. Yes, they will. Feed them well.

I am glad to hear you and your wife are getting them fixed. :tiphat:

only thing id worry about a tame cat is woudl they be smart enough to keep in the brush and out of sight of owls and hawks. Or does getting tame meaning they will lay in the yard and just be an easy target.

Unless I keep kittens in the house or some other safe enclosed place until about age 6 months, they will disappear, one by one. Country life is hard on kittens. Some cats are just better mousers than others. it just seems to be an individual trait. They still need nutritious food, vaccinations and be spayed and neutered.

Keep them locked up def 2-3 weeks so they know where "home" is, but if they are that tiny, wont hurt to keep them confined even longer. We have a big ole screech owl and Ive never had issue with him..yotes I have though. they got my fullgrown neutered gray cat just two weeks ago..best mouser, outside of his momma..that was sad.

Country life is hard on cats, period. mine are all friendly, but know their jobs. I feed them well and they hunt well for me. my big gray momma this AM showed me a rat she'd caught..and I had just fed her last night. I also make sure their rabies vacc is current and they are fixed. unneautered males will spray(ew!) and wander. unspayed females will have kittens left and right.

My cats are very good at keeping the place clear of vermin..rats, mice..even bugs and the occassional rabbit..

Congrats on getting a couple cats. Most can make great mousers and yes even as tame indoor pets.

Our little story about letting kittens outside to hunt. We have had 7 cats over the past 4 years that we have lived on a farm in the country. The cats never really leave the area of the house/yard/barn with the exception of one. We moved in with 2, Satin a 3yr solid gray and Ginger a 4yr orange rex tabby. There are owls, you can hear them in the evening. We also have occasional foxes and such. Ginger started going out the first summer and we slowly saw her farther and farther from the house. One day she just didn't come home. We were given an orange tabby kitten whose mother got run over. Named him Eggnog (don't ask) and he was good until he started going out in the summer when he was about 6 months old. One day we heard a cat screech and never saw him again. We found a kitten in our yard and live far enough out that he would have had to been dropped not just lost. He was white with tabby patches and was named Patches. Again about 6 months old he was outside and we heard a screech and he was gone. We now have 3 cats. Still Have Satin, she is the best hunter we have ever had and is indoor/outdoor. Follows us when we take walks and such. Only goes a short ways out of the yard into the corn/hay field and orchard. The other 2 cats were given to us last year by a friend that moved to a no pets apartment. Neither go outside and if they happen to get out they panic. Both mouse inside.

There is also a black tomcat that stalks the barn. Don't know where he came from and he hides when we go in there. Personally if I were to go out to get a cat for outdoor mousing, I would only get gray, brown, black or tabby in those colors. Anything else makes them owl bait at least until they are older.

JMO

We got two kittens last year. They were about 6 weeks old. We kept them in our shop for several weeks. We installed a pet door in the shop door. Once they were big enough to go outside alone we lifted the flap of the pet door and taped it up for a week or so. We then would put the flap down and get on the other side of the door and call the kitten and sort of lift the flap so they could see us and some food. It did not take long for them to figure it out. Only problem.......a non-neutered (translation - a male cat that sprays EVERYTHING) stray cat has watched them and learned he can come in for a meal.

These are tame cats now that can catch birds, mice and have gotten rid of my mole problem! We can't keep a chipmunk on the place. They are awesome hunters even though they are well fed.

Latest posts