New Baler

Help Support CattleToday:

Stay away from the Rebel 5400, had one and it was always a problem to use. Prone for the belts to quit turning.

A Vermeer 5400 is the simplest baler made, and the best. IMO And by the way the belts aren't supposed to turn until hay is forced against them by the pickup.

True Grit Farms said:
A Vermeer 5400 is the simplest baler made, and the best. IMO And by the way the belts aren't supposed to turn until hay is forced against them by the pickup.

No idea as to the 5400 but my JD 375, for the STO type farm is a honey, hands down. Had to put some roller bearings in it because the PO left it out in the weather but being a '91 model....so be it.

You now have two opinions on the 5400 baler one good and one bad. Go to this website for more opinions.
https://www.haytalk.com/forums/topic/11975-rebel-5400-belt-slip/

I like Vermeers. Why not get a new Vermeer say a 5410 or a m series's? I have a 554xl behind a 5525 JD and the baler will eat hay faster than my tractor will pull it on hills. And yes the belts on mine sometime turns real slow until there's hay in the pick up other times they don't move

pricefarm said:
I like Vermeers. Why not get a new Vermeer say a 5410 or a m series's? I have a 554xl behind a 5525 JD and the baler will eat hay faster than my tractor will pull it on hills. And yes the belts on mine sometime turns real slow until there's hay in the pick up other times they don't move

Assuming yours has them, have you adjusted the small coil springs on the bottom side of the large tension springs? On my old L, I had to adjust them occasionally - think the setting was 4-1/2". That helped to get the belts going at startup.

To the OP, the Rebel and Utility model are both base models, no frills and you get what you get. We've had Vermeer balers since the late 70's/early 80's and they've been good to us, both the balers and especially the company. Vermeer is one of the extremely few companies that I can say has been a pleasure to work with.

So you can bale hay when you need to. I have saw more Vermeer balers burn than any other brand. Never seen the net wrap work like I think it should on a Vermeer. I don't think they make a nice a bale as a Deere or New Holland.

Texasmark said:
True Grit Farms said:

No idea as to the 5400 but my JD 375, for the STO type farm is a honey, hands down. Had to put some roller bearings in it because the PO left it out in the weather but being a '91 model....so be it.

Dad bought a 375 new in 1993. We have put 500 bales a year through it every year since then. A couple of belts and a set of tires is all that has ever been spent on it, but it has also never been rained on. Not bad for a 26 year old baler.

Red Bull Breeder said:
So you can bale hay when you need to. I have saw more Vermeer balers burn than any other brand. Never seen the net wrap work like I think it should on a Vermeer. I don't think they make a nice a bale as a Deere or New Holland.

I have a JD 566 that I parked shortly after I bought the Vermeer 605N. I just use the JD when I have to run two balers to catch up. I used to think it was quite a machine but now I can see that there is no comparison between the two.
And I wouldn't have a NH under any circumstances. Too many of them in the area with all sorts of gremlins.
So I guess to each their own.

cfpinz said:
pricefarm said:

Assuming yours has them, have you adjusted the small coil springs on the bottom side of the large tension springs? On my old L, I had to adjust them occasionally - think the setting was 4-1/2". That helped to get the belts going at startup.

To the OP, the Rebel and Utility model are both base models, no frills and you get what you get. We've had Vermeer balers since the late 70's/early 80's and they've been good to us, both the balers and especially the company. Vermeer is one of the extremely few companies that I can say has been a pleasure to work with.

I only bale about 250 bales a year. Dont need anything fancy. I'm leaning towards Vermeer.

I have a 450 utility. I bought it from a neighbor that had had it for a couple years. He realized it was time consuming and he was better off buying and grazing. It had about 300 through it. I've put about 2000 trough it in the past three years so far.

The only problems I have had is with auto tie. I picked up a stick and it hit perfect to bend the cut off assembly. I bent it back but still sometimes it gets in a bind. I need to replace the flipper rod for the knife. I remember it only when it doesn't cut, like the hole in the roof when its raining. One downside its a dirty baler, I mean the loose material builds up on the belts more than the little JD I have. The only other thing I don't like is hook up of the connector plug for the controls to the baler, I used a paint pen to help get them lined up.

If I was buying new I would get the net wrap and I'd think you would be pretty satisfied for many years for that amount of hay. I haven't had much experience with the rebel, but they are popular around here and I've heard nothing bad on them. Like what was said they are both base models. For that amount of hay they both would be fine. An older jd in good shape would also be a good option, especially if you have someone who knows them look it over.

I have a little 4x4 that I've used since 91 and I wouldn't care to hook up to and finish this years crop with even now. Just on an older baler little things can happen on Saturday evening on a memorial day weekend to put you in a bind. But that can happen to anyone of them even new. That's when a good dealer and good neighbors come into play. Not a bad idea to check out what they are using.

i'm going to look for a 5x5 or 5x6 JD.. seems like you can get the bigger balers for a better deal.

whats the max size for those tube wrappers.. 5x5 or can they do a 5x6?

Silver said:
Red Bull Breeder said:

I have a JD 566 that I parked shortly after I bought the Vermeer 605N. I just use the JD when I have to run two balers to catch up. I used to think it was quite a machine but now I can see that there is no comparison between the two.
And I wouldn't have a NH under any circumstances. Too many of them in the area with all sorts of gremlins.
So I guess to each their own.
Cousin has the 605n. Sucked up 50 acres that made 137 rolls in about 5 hrs for me. Good tight bales.

Vermeer does have good service after the sale. Some dealers are better than others. I sent an e-mail last night to Vermeer about setting the net knife on my 5410. Surprise this morning and on Saturday I had an e-mail from the senior tech advisor. Also he said to give him my phone number and when working on the baler let him know and he would try and walk me through the problems. They are great on furnishing you manuals. A lot of the problems with Vermeer comes from the dealers they have and the service technicians they hire. I think that the techs do go to school but do they learn anything.

I have seen two of the new Vermeer R balers bale and they look good. As said the 5400 is simple, works good and you can put your hay up with one. Several around here and everybody seems to like theirs.

Latest posts