New angus girls

Help Support CattleToday:

Yes it was. Had a couple guys at the sale barn said they weren't impressed at DND but they're strictly commercial so who knows. The pedigrees were good as near as I could tell so I'm definitely not judging something I didn't see.
Sorry I misunderstood. I bought these at Wayne City from another dispersal. King and I were discussing the DND sale but I didn't go. How was it?

Loo
I was hoping you would chime in, thank you and everyone else for the kind words. They all weighed 1450-1550, the two 3rd stage breds being heavier. They're real uniform on size and were pussycats in the sale ring. Nice and calm, that's my most important trait. It's hard to work from a hospital bed.
After looking at their pedigrees, what would you suggest to put on them? I need quiet disposition, slick hair, good feet (doesn't everyone?) and fescue tolerance. I was thinking maybe some OCC.
Looking at pedigrees F1 and D1 are both negative birthweight cows so I would be breeding them to something that has some birthweight. The F2 cow I would be looking for a bull to add milk strictly based on EPD's. I try to breed for balance select a bull that will improve numbers that need improvement but not at the loss of the phenotype that I strive for. It sounds easy but the easy part is how fast you can screw it up lol. I guess the best advice I can give is strive for balance. Best of luck with your new additions nice females. I would look at Rainfall or Niagara just thinking out loud.

Why is that? I've had more simmental in the past so trying to learn the angus curve.
They are linebred mostly from a bull that had marginal feet and lacked fertility. At one time I thought 6807 walked on water.

Interesting. I've never heard this before. Care to expand on it?
I think I covered it. OCC cattle do have positives. They fix udders and have good fleshing ability with very moderate mature size.

I think I covered it. OCC cattle do have positives. They fix udders and have good fleshing ability with very moderate mature size.
Personal experience on this matter? Normally when one makes such a bold statement they have a number of facts or experience they've based the decision on. I don't have a dog in the fight either way on traveler but if you're going to drop a bomb in this manner you should be ready to back it up. Good or bad I want to hear it.

I will say I was a big fan of 6807 for a long time but when you can trace foot issues back on multiple cattle to the same bull you have to be willing to admit that the bull has a weak point. 6807 also had many positive points and we have culled hard to eliminate any bad feet but a bunch that were culled were sired by 6807. I still believe 6807 has enough going for him that I would use him but I would be very selective on the cow I paired him to. Missing Link is another bull that offers a lot of good but he will also give you poor foot structure. In both cases you have to remember the bull was only 50% of the equation. Resource gives you excellent feet.

Personal experience on this matter? Normally when one makes such a bold statement they have a number of facts or experience they've based the decision on. I don't have a dog in the fight either way on traveler but if you're going to drop a bomb in this manner you should be ready to back it up. Good or bad I want to hear it.
I gave you the good and the bad. I am not going to argue all day about it. Trust me it is based on personal experience. I live in the real world with commercial cows.

Once again, didn't own one hair on Traveler's body. Also didn't argue one word. Gizmom explained her position well. You did not. I didn't question you, just asked for more detail. Thank you for the input.

Nice! From the look of things you need to buy some more cattle
True. I culled hard the last few years and had a persistent financial problem (ex wife) that kept me from rebuilding. I've been buying this year. I'm going all registered stock going forward, angus and simmental.
My problem with the grass is all my pastures are small and scattered. The home place is picked down and everything else is thick. I've been moving some as time allows but time isn't always easy to come by.

Latest posts