New angus girls

Help Support CattleToday:

Nice udder on the first one. She about to calve or just have one pulled off her?

Nice udder on the first one. She about to calve or just have one pulled off her?
She had a January bull calf they sold separate. She's the 6 year old. I really liked her udder too looks like it should be good for a long time yet.

She had a January bull calf they sold separate. She's the 6 year old. I really liked her udder too looks like it should be good for a long time yet.
Looks like it's a pretty ideal udder. Shame that they didn't sell her and her calf as a pair, that's a really young calf to split off.

Look good, stayed home to work on the planter, or I would of made it to Wayne City today. Was there a pretty good crowd, or was everyone in the field?

Look good, stayed home to work on the planter, or I would of made it to Wayne City today. Was there a pretty good crowd, or was everyone in the field?
Pretty good crowd, parking lot was full. Got to see some good folks I hadn't seen in a while.
You get anything planted yet? Lots of seed going in the ground from home to Wayne City. I planted some beans Friday, haven't been in a hurry on corn.
You make it to the sale Saturday? If what I heard was right prices weren't as high as I thought they might be.

Looks like it's a pretty ideal udder. Shame that they didn't sell her and her calf as a pair, that's a really young calf to split off.
That's what I thought too, but he went a little high for what I wanted to give for a four month old bull. I wasn't as impressed with the bulls they had as the females.

Reg #'s
Now, what to do with them going forward... think I'll do a round of timed ai with them and some young simangus I bought a year ago that are calving now. The SA girls are similar type of cattle, moderate easy fleshing. Probably go with straight angus on the group.

Last edited:
I think you should get rid of all three of them cull for poor hygien! Just send them to Me to avoid embarrassment. All kidding aside nice functional looking cows, really like them.
I was hoping you would chime in, thank you and everyone else for the kind words. They all weighed 1450-1550, the two 3rd stage breds being heavier. They're real uniform on size and were pussycats in the sale ring. Nice and calm, that's my most important trait. It's hard to work from a hospital bed.
After looking at their pedigrees, what would you suggest to put on them? I need quiet disposition, slick hair, good feet (doesn't everyone?) and fescue tolerance. I was thinking maybe some OCC.

Last edited:
I am not an OCC fan. Sitz Resilient might work on them. I spoke with a breeder that liked his Resilient calves enough that he ordered more semen on him.

I am not an OCC fan. Sitz Resilient might work on them. I spoke with a breeder that liked his Resilient calves enough that he ordered more semen on him.
Why is that? I've had more simmental in the past so trying to learn the angus curve.

Pretty good crowd, parking lot was full. Got to see some good folks I hadn't seen in a while.
You get anything planted yet? Lots of seed going in the ground from home to Wayne City. I planted some beans Friday, haven't been in a hurry on corn.
You make it to the sale Saturday? If what I heard was right prices weren't as high as I thought they might be.
Waiting till after it snows to see about planting anything. Got everything worked up, but didn't make it to any sales.

Di

Was that the DND auction? I was there, but didn't buy anything besides a hamburger
Yes it was. Had a couple guys at the sale barn said they weren't impressed at DND but they're strictly commercial so who knows. The pedigrees were good as near as I could tell so I'm definitely not judging something I didn't see.

Latest posts