New Angus Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Money to be made on him now or is he freezer camp bound?

Even beef sales should make money

No interest, shootin blanks or a broke pecker?
He was with neighbors 4 cows and 1 heifer.
All came up open. Good thing he wasn't depending on that bull!!
Rather than test the bull, he decided he would put him in the freezer! 🤣
He is feeding the 5 I got him the other day for freezer beef. So he needed a 6th anyway.
That bull, now steer, ought to make a really nice hanging weight come October!

He sold the cows couple weeks ago. Only keeping Bessies heifer. We will turn her out with Big Sexy mid May..

That's why you don't do that foolishness. Yall got lucky and he just didn't breed.

There is being conservative... and there is being reckless. This was the latter.
Yeah. It was a mess. Kind of...

I told him I'd have him tested beforehand. He didn't care much. 😶

There was obviously a problem with his red cow. She's been with 2 bulls and didn't breed.
The other 2 cows were old! The 4th ended up hamburger. She was running age but wouldn't raise her calf. That heifer should've bred right up tho!!

Worked out in the end for him I guess.
800lb steers are $1600 right now. He gave far less than that for this one. And he's got his 6th animal!

It's out here for everyone to see!!
Good or bad, that's how it went down.

Yeah. It was a mess. Kind of...

I told him I'd have him tested beforehand. He didn't care much. 😶

There was obviously a problem with his red cow. She's been with 2 bulls and didn't breed.
The other 2 cows were old! The 4th ended up hamburger. She was running age but wouldn't raise her calf. That heifer should've bred right up tho!!

Worked out in the end for him I guess.
800lb steers are $1600 right now. He gave far less than that for this one. And he's got his 6th animal!

It's out here for everyone to see!!
Good or bad, that's how it went down.
I am now calve in the fall due to a dud bull. Bought from fam and should have known better. BSE is our friend was my painful lesson.

Last edited:
I know several who buy bulls at the barn every year. They have either the barn owner or a buyer look for a top quality bull a breeder is done with. They have him tested. If good they take him hime if not they resell him. Know of a breeder who bought a 5 y/o that brought $11,000 as a yearling for $2200.00. He tested good. Some breeders sell good bulls when they get too many daughters. With all of these PB breeders asking 5-10,000 for average bulls a commercial breeder has to consider all options.

@Travlr
What @farmerjan said!

🤣🤣🤣

He's been feeding the bull turned steer all this time. That had to be expensive too!

822 652 723 987 714 592 that was all the hanging weights.
6 animals. The 3 heifers were lightest, but still did good for what he started with.

Latest posts