New Ag Student

Help Support CattleToday:

WarriorPatriot

Reaction score
Hi I'm Becca I'm new here, I'm starting to get into FFA at my school and we are going to start a calf raising project and bottle feed them. I'm familiar with cattle and showing as my cousins show steers for 4-H and I help out. So I picked here to come to find more info about cattle raising and showing as it seems everyone here is very knowledgeable. :D

Hello Becca. I am very glad to hear from you and know you are interested in Agriculture and cattle. Good luck with your ventures and feel free to ask any question.

Scotty

Welcome Becca; Be sure and check out the Show Board if you're interested in Showing. Good luck with your project.

Welcome to the boards Becca.

I was a FFA student as well, and found it to have been a great experience. Hope it proves to be the same for you.

Please take this advice...if you are absolutely new to cattle raising, especially bottle feeding calves......

do your homework and prepare your facilities BEFORE you get an animal.become knowledgable about illnesses, symptoms, as well as treatments, and proper nutritional needs of your growing calf.

be prepared for those things that can and will go wrong..ie: sickness, accidents, etc.

start you calf off right, using the very best REAL milk replacer and calf starter grain you can find. You can look for less expensive feeds etc, AFTER the calf has had a good start.

make sure you vaccinate when age is appropriate to do so.

Find a mentor that is willing to spend time with you and your project, one that REALLY knows what they are doing, NOT just thinking, or hoping they know.

Wish you the very best of luck! :cboy:

Welcome Becca...alot of great advice here, we don't show as our kids have finished with it and we are waiting for the grandkids to start 4H in a couple of years.
Pay close attention to what Medic24 has shared with you...knowledge before the calf especially a bottle baby and get a knowledgable mentor. Learn about bovine psychology(going to take some hits)...not rocket science but will let you know why your calf reacts the way it does and how to handle it......best of luck to you...Susie

P.S. please post some pics when you get your calf, everybody
really likes to see them.

Thanks for the welcomes and advice everyone!! Though my calf will be housed at my school in the pasture and barn, I don't buy the food but our head of Ag department is really a calf person and pitches in some of his own money to make sure those calves get THE BEST. I'm looking forward to this project but I think we will start in Dec. or Jan. so I have pleanty of time to gather info about it. I'm sure I will have lots of questions about calf raising during this time so I'd love any advice for anything to make it a better experience! :D

I'm also excited as I think we are the maybe only High here in AZ thats animals go to be shown at state fair :D :D

Hi,
Becca welcome to the boards. Like you im just going into FFA, but i will be showing a heifer instead.
Good luck,
Lincoln

P.S. Also post pictures if you can im interested in seeing your calf

hi Becca,
great to see kids gettin involved with ffa. I am a 4H leader and have a daughter involved with ffa and 4H. your ag teacher sounds like a wonderful mentor..but never hurts to have more than one. How nice that your school as the facilities to house your calf there. Good luck with your project/projects and I look forward to hearing your progress.
Lilly

welcome becca
lots of good folks on this board!!
:D :D
where in az are you located? am there as well small feelot in az beef cattle in ok
good luck ffa is a great too to be involved with :) :)

Latest posts