New A.I. Certified Black Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill

Reaction score
Now that I've got your attention...lol.

Seriously, though...

Our new solid black Longhorn bull was recently certified as an A.I. sire by ITLA. He'll be arriving from the seller's in about ten days on my wife's return haul from Missouri. Have a few fotos of him; however, new better photos are pending.

If anyone would like to see pics or get further info, just PM me or E-mail me. Don't want to clutter up the board with this event. NO...he is not for sale.

We're looking forward to his calves from our breeding stock... At 6 yrs old he already has some very good looking LH calves on the ground from his previous owner's operation.

;-) :cboy:

Why not Post them on your WebSite.
If no please eMail them to me. You have my eMail address.

la4angus":21t8f4j9 said:
Why not Post them on your WebSite.
If no please eMail them to me. You have my eMail address.

Will be updating website and posting new photos of several over next week. Waiting on some other changes to decide on. Will e-mail you couple of photos...thanks

Frankie":efx03c7h said:
What is the horn length on this bull, Bill? Just curious...

Phantom's horn measured earlier this spring before we bought him (picking him up in Missouri this coming week) was 54.5" T-T. Their place didn't do a total horn measurement. However, his base was reported to be 13". Once we get him here, we'll do complete measurements on him while we have him quaranteened in our corral (our usual precaution regardless of who and where a new arrival came from).

As a son of Overwhelmer (who had pretty impressive horns and body), Phantom's greatest asset are his body, solid black color, and potential to pass on those Overwhelmer genes, along with his Dam, "Jet Black Wynonna". He already has several calves he sired that had impressive weaning weights and great looking bodies. We've already selected 1/2 dozen or so of our open and soon to be open cows for him.

We just A.I.'d two of our senior cows, "Impact's Princess" and "Rag Tag" to two major bulls: Unlimited and Phenomenon. We'll be A.I.ing another one of our excellent cows to Don Julio soon (he has 80+ horn) and is owned by El Coyote Ranch in Texas if I'm not mistaken.

cherokeeruby":3gg6kinl said:
Wow, 80 inches, what is the record for a bull and for a steer?

The record (best I can remember) is approx 112" for a steer. Some bulls are approaching 90" total and 80" T-T measurement. Record cows are in the 70-80" area. Here we are talking VERY HIGH DOLLAR animals--in the $25,000 to 65,000 price range.

Running Arrow Bill":itquu62p said:
cherokeeruby":itquu62p said:

The record (best I can remember) is approx 112" for a steer. Some bulls are approaching 90" total and 80" T-T measurement. Record cows are in the 70-80" area. Here we are talking VERY HIGH DOLLAR animals--in the $25,000 to 65,000 price range.

You continue to confuse me, Bill. Why would you use a bull with 54.5" horns if you are looking for 70-80" lengths?

Frankie":3hp5a9qe said:
Running Arrow Bill":3hp5a9qe said:
cherokeeruby":3hp5a9qe said:

You continue to confuse me, Bill. Why would you use a bull with 54.5" horns if you are looking for 70-80" lengths?

Ok. Our new bull, Jet Black Phantom, has significant genetics from his sire Overwhelmer (the sire of the famous "Senator")...also from his dam. These are close in pedigrees and the genetics have produced outstanding offspring. The people that own those 70-80" horned bulls are playing in the 7-figure $$ bracket--not too many of us have that privilege (few in fact). The only other way to "work your way up the pecking order" is to select genetics (either direct NS or A.I.) that will improve via body condition and horn potential. If you go to either the ITLA or TLBAA website and look at their A.I. Herd Sire listing, you'll find that Overwhelmer (and others) are some of the top players. Incidentally, last fall we purchased some Overwhelmer straws for $150 a pop.

Hope this clarifies my previous comments a little better.[/i]

Is horn length in the Longhorn breed a low, moderate or highly heritable trait?

Or does anyone know? It seems like an important trait for a Longhorn. Thanks...

Regarding heritability of horn length, see the article at the site listed below --- it is discussed in the last few paragraphs. The article is by a "university-type" geneticist that is a part owner, along with other geneticists, in the Double Helix Longhorn ranch. According to the author, he knows of no definitive study that measures the heritability of horns. Click on the tab for Horn Length

http://home.austin.rr.com/doublehelix/index.html

Arnold Ziffle":ni9txuxq said:
Regarding heritability of horn length, see the article at the site listed below --- it is discussed in the last few paragraphs. The article is by a "university-type" geneticist that is a part owner, along with other geneticists, in the Double Helix Longhorn ranch. According to the author, he knows of no definitive study that measures the heritability of horns. Click on the tab for Horn Length

http://home.austin.rr.com/doublehelix/index.html

Thanks, Arnold. That was what I was looking for.

Latest posts